10. Distraction

❛ ᴊᴜɴɢᴋᴏᴏᴋ ❜

❛ ᴊᴜɴɢᴋᴏᴏᴋ ❜

"Jungkook-ah, I'm sorry," hee said with a painful smile on his face.

"For what?" I asked, surprised.

"I was supposed to take the responsibility of the company, not you. Yet, I decided to be selfish. I'm sorry."

"You were not selfish, hyung. I said I wanted to be the heir to the family business, didn't I?" I told him.

"But that was only because I wanted to pursue my dream of working with music, wasn't it?" He replied.

"Look, hyung, I don't regret any of what I am today. And most importantly, when I see that you're happy, I feel happy too." The pain in his smile was replaced by admiration now.

"When did you grow up so much? Was it because of our parents?" He said, only to realize in a second what a wrong thing he'd just uttered.

Both of us remained silent for a moment; I was the one to break it. ''It's about her, isn't it?" He diverted his gaze from mine, and looked the other way.

"So, it is. I don't get why you become so sorrowful around her birthday when all she did was hurt us," I said, my voice colder than ever.

"So, you do remember her birthday," he whispered, almost inaudibly. I heard it nonetheless.

As I sat in my office, I recalled my conversation with Yoongi hyung this morning. There were very few things he even cared about, and this had to be one of them.

Did we really deserve it?
What am I even thinking? Of course, we didn't.

I suddenly remembered all those times when my parents were just about everything on my mind.

There was no point in it. So, I had decided to replace it with work and not to leave any space for anything else at all, let alone any person.

Was it really the right decision?

Since then, work had never left my mind. But I had to admit, there was something else, too.

Now, all I could think about was... Yerin. I got distracted in work because of her. It was wrong.

Maybe all I needed to get away from this distraction was a.... distraction.

❛ ʏᴇʀɪɴ ❜

I was actually enjoying work wholly. But I had to admit, that was mostly because I wasn't uncomfortable or hesitant around Jungkook anymore. His friendly behaviour on my birthday caused me to stop adding 'sir' in every sentence while talking to him.