3. The Alien and the Frenemy

❛ ʏᴇʀɪɴ ❜

❛ ʏᴇʀɪɴ ❜

"What? You're all his friends?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah, we are." I got my reply but not from Jimin. Another handsome guy was approaching us with a friendly smile. Words probably couldn't describe how handsome he was.

Damn. Did people need to be good-looking to work here?

He was a bit taller than Jimin. He wore a white shirt tucked in with a white belt, with white pants. It was all white, except the tie which was black, but he managed to rock it out anyway.

Similar to Jimin, he had multiple piercings on his ears and his lips were pinkish. They looked... kissable.

"What exactly are you thinking, Yerin?" I mentally scolded myself.

He held out his right hand and said, "I'm Kim Taehyung." I took his hand politely, shaking it.

"Kim Yerin."

"Taehyung, now that you're here, would you mind keeping Y/N company? I gotta get back to work," said Jimin.

"I'd love to spend some time alone with a beautiful girl like her," said Taehyung and shot me a wink. I felt my stomach do a flip.

Did he just flirt with me?

Before returning to work, Jimin said, "Be careful, Yerin. It might not seem like that but he can be be very weird sometimes!"

I chuckled at that and turned to Taehyung, "So, Taehyung-ssi, you guys seem like great friends. Did you meet in highschool?"

"No formalities, please. I prefer 'Taehyung' only. And no, Jimin and I are childhood friends. We met Minji and Jungkook in highschool," Taehyung replied.

So, that's his name. Have I heard it somewhere before? Must be in the news.. could be one of those business magazines I followed as well.

"They were both younger than us, yet we became best friends. Jungkook was the ideal student, though. Every teacher loved him. And girls were a bit of a problem."

"Well, that's not a surprise," I stated. Taehyung grinned, and I realized his smile was very cute, and a bit box-like.

"They kept following us four wherever we went. Not to mention, they were extremely jealous of Minji." At that moment, another girl, whom I assumed to be the last person who worked on this floor, came towards us.

I noticed she had a lot of makeup on — at least more than Mjnji anyway — and her skirt was definitely shorter than it should have been at a workplace.

"Is Mr. Jeon here yet?" She asked Taehyung. I couldn't fail to notice how she batted her eyelids way too many times while talking. "No," Taehyung replied pretty coldly, which surprised me.

But he seemed very friendly...?

Then the girl turned to look at me. I bowed a little and introduced myself. "So, you're the new assistant. Wonder how long you'll last," she said with a smirk and walked away, making sure to increase the sway of her hips while doing so.

"That's Lee Hyeri. Don't be offended by her attitude. She's always like this. Reminds me a lot of those girls who followed us around in highschool."

"What was she saying, though? Did the CEO's previous assistants leave after working only a short time?"

"The longest I remember was about a year. I still wonder how she managed."

"Why?" I asked nervously. "Does he give a lot of workload?"

"Yeah, there's the workload, alright. But that's probably not the main thing."

"Then what is?"

"You see, when we were going through highschool, Jungkook sort of.. changed," Taehyung stated.

Seeing my confused expression, he explained, "He had some... well, family issues. You'll see it yourself. I don't want to ruin your first day here. I should get back to work too; Jungkook will be back soon."

He left. But, it almost seemed like he was trying to escape from the truth.

 -

"Yerin!" Jimin almost came running to me as I returned from the cafeteria of the office with Minji. "Your boss is here. He wants to see you."

"Good luck! Make your best impression,'' Minji encouraged me.

"I guess I'll get going then."

I slowly pushed open the door to the CEO's room, and saw him standing inside, his back facing me. The muscles of his back flexed under his thin white shirt. I asked, "May I come in, sir?"

"Yes."

I heard — I must admit — a very beautiful and gentle voice. I closed the door and entered the office. It was spacious and neatly arranged.

He turned around and looked straight at me. I gulped harshly down my throat. "Fuck," I cursed mentally. I could only think of one thing.

This guy was gonna be the death of me.