4. Confrontation

❛ ʏᴇʀɪɴ ❜

❛ ʏᴇʀɪɴ ❜

This guy was gonna be the death of me.

And on the last day of my third week working here, I was sure of it. At first, I thought, he was gonna kill me by his good looks, but now the idea has changed. He would do it by giving me way too much workload.

As I sat behind my desk at five minutes to ten on Friday night, I remembered my first meeting with him.

When I saw him for the first time, my jaw had almost touched the floor. With his perfect lips and sharp jawline, he was extremely attractive - even his black-brown eyes seemed to hold meaning.

His coat was resting on the back of his chair, and his thin, white shirt showed off his well-shaped body underneath.

In short, he was the perfect example of 'who wouldn't fall for him?'

But,the whole time I was in his room, his expression was smug. And his lips formed an ineradicable smirk, which seemed 'cause he never did.

It made him look kinda hot, though.

No, Yerin. You're not supposed to think like that.

Now that I think about it, just after he had turned around, it seemed as though his expression was the same as mine for a split second - full of surprise.

I must be thinking wrong. Why'd he be surprised in seeing me?

With the newly appeared smirk on his face, at first, he observed me from head to toe. His laser-like gaze was making me feel like I hadn't worn anything, when I clearly had. Then, he motioned me to take the seat in front of him and I did.

"Kim Yerin. Twenty years of age." He paused a little, and not knowing what to say, I just nodded. "So, you're only a few months younger than me. And yet, you are worthy of getting a job in one of the best companies of the country. I must say, they've chosen the right person." He finished taking another look at the upper part of my body.

I wanted to ask, "Is that because of my potential or my appearance?" But instead, what I said was, "Thank you, sir. I'll do my best."

"Of course, you will. Now before that, I want to know a bit more about you," he said.

"Of course," I replied. Then, he started asking me questions about my daily life, why I joined the company and other things.

It was all fine until he asked, "So, Ms. Kim. Are you single?" like it was the most common thing to say to your personal assistant.

"I don't think you should be concerned about that, sir," I emphasized the last bit.

"Just answer me," he ordered. There was something in his tone that made me feel like I should say the truth.

"Yes, sir. And all I want to focus on right now is my career."

I thought I saw some kind of satisfaction flash in his eyes for a second, although his expression remained mostly unchanged.

-

"Yerin?" The alarming voice made me come back to my senses. "So, what do you think?" asked Jimin.

Entirely oblivious to what he was saying, I asked, "About what?"

He smiled and said, "Have you listened to anything I just said?"

"Sorry, I-"

He finished the sentence for me, "Was lost in thoughts.''

I smiled sheepishly and said, "Would you mind repeating?"

"I was asking if you could come to my home tomorrow afternoon, and help me plan my proposal for Minji. Taehyung's already agreed."

"Sure, I'm free tomorrow afternoon."

"I'll text you the address. Sleep well tonight, you look like you need it," he said, before turning around.

"I will. See you!" I waved.

After Jimin left, I realized it was only me and Hyeri in the whole ninth floor. Taehyung and Minji had left about half an hour ago.

I tried to focus on my work so that I could leave as quickly as possible. But before that, I needed to go to the restroom.

As I was coming out, a hand suddenly took a strong hold of mine and pulled me round a corner. It took me a few seconds to realize. I was in one of the maintainance closets, with someone else.

"If it wasn't for you, I'd have been his personal secretary." A voice spoke out harshly.

Lee Hyeri.

"You're stealing both of them from me," she continued.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

"Don't play dumb, Yerin. Jeon Jungkook and Kim Taehyung. You're two-timing on them," she spat, giving rise to a wave of anger in me.

"I'm only friends with Taehyung. And I can't dream of being in a romantic relationship with Mr. Jeon, even in my darkest nightmares."

Hyeri just glared at me. So, I kept going on. "I'm not trying to lay my hands on any of the guys. If they don't like you, that's your problem. Step aside, you're blocking my way."

Surprised, Hyeri backed away a bit. I took the chance and exited the room. Annoyance filled my mind.

Everyday I see him with a different girl and so does Hyeri. How can she even think I'm trying to get him, when he just pisses me off?

After five minutes, I saw Hyeri leave the office with a scowl on her face. That's when realization hit me.

I was totally alone right now and I still had to finish my work.

Suddenly, I heard some movement behind me. When I turned around, the lights went off. "Who is it?" I asked. There was no reply.

I felt a lump form in my throat as I glanced around. There was nothing but darkness. It felt like the darkness would swallow me whole.

All the memories started to come back to me and I felt my breathing come out in short huffs.

"Relax, Yerin. Breathe," I told myself.

I tried to find my way through the dark and just then, a pair of hands wrapped around my waist.

"Who is it?" I screamed, only to hear a quiet 'shh' in response.

"It's me, Jungkook."