• 10 •

* WEDNESDAY *
(TODAY)

𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘥, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺

I stared at my new scar in the mirror, pressing at it gently when Five suddenly appeared in the room.

"I've got it!" He exclaimed. "Lance is a little piece of shit. He sells on the black market he—" Five cut himself off when he realized I wasn't answering. I averted my eyes down and frowned. "What's wrong?"

"This is what's wrong!" I exclaimed, looking  at Five with flaring eyes as I pointed to my cheek. "You left me here to fucking die. I bet that was the plan."

Five's expression turned pained. "No, Wednesday. I'd never do that to you. Never." He grabbed my chin, tilting my head to look at the scar. "What happened?"

"Does it even matter? You don't even think that a puny shit like me can save the world so you decide to come up with excuses to leave me here!"

Five opened his mouth to speak, but I didn't allow him to. "You think you're so much better than everyone else, Five. Including me. I'm just some tool to help you save the garden. Is that all I am to you? Just admit it. I don't mean shit to you!"

Five shook his head frantically. "Wednesday, Wednesday," he said. "I'd never do that. You're amazing. You're the best thing to have ever happened to me."

I felt tears spring to my eyes. What the fuck is wrong with me?  "I'm sorry," I sniffed. "I'm so sorry."

Five pulled me in for a hug. "Shh..." He shushed me as he pet my hair. "Shh..."

"Let's go beat that Lance son of a gun," I whispered. Five nodded and grinned.

"Let's go."

Five jumped us into Lance's car, and upon turning around to see us he gasped. "Oh, Jesus!"

I pulled out the knife then, reaching over and holding it over Lance's throat. "One chance. That's all you've got."

"One chance to tell us exactly what's going on in that lab," Five demanded.

"I-I manufacture prosthetic devices for fake patients. I bill the insurance companies and then sell them for cash on the black market."

"Including eyeballs?" I asked.

"Yeah, they're my biggest seller. I mean, they sell like hotcakes. I've got a list. A waiting list. Probably 20 buyers," Lance stammered.

"So the serial number we told you..." I smirked.

"Could've already been bought. Yes—off the books," Lance offered.

"We need that list, Lance. Names and numbers we need it now!" Five yelled.

"I don't have it. I mean, not on me. The only copy's in my safe at the lab," he told us.

"Well, you start the car then," I ordered. "Cause we're going on a field trip." I pulled the knife away from his neck and settled in my seat. "Now!"

Lance's eyes widened. "Ok."

"No," I whispered as we approached the lab. "No, no, no!"

It was on fire, smoke spilling out the sides. Five I and both ran ahead of Lance, and we stood in front of the lab. Suddenly, an explosion came from the inside, throwing me and Five backwards to the street.

I turned over in the rubble, noticing that my arm was bleeding. That didn't matter though. The files were gone. And now we'd never know who owner the eye. "Shit!" I cursed.