Chapter 26: Crisis

Start from the beginning

"What positives aunty Addeline? I know you're trying to keep our spirits up but Olivia hasn't moved an inch not even to breathe. How do we know this isn't a protection thing but more of a mourning thing?" My mom and I both growled in response to that. Gaia narrowed her eyes,

"I'm just saying what we're all thinking," she grumbles before walking down the stream. A small piece of me knew that Gaia was right. But a large part of me refused to believe that my sister is dead. I just felt in my gut that she isn't.

"Why don't we just finish with dinner." My mother suggests while picking her stick back up. I rest my head in my lap, not really in the mood for fish.

The next morning, Olivia shocked us all when we heard the sound of her breathing. She was breathing which meant she was still alive in there. My mother was elated that Olivia is moving even if it is just to breathe. We all waited for her to stir or something since she was breathing again. But unfortunately, her body remained in the plank position. She wasn't going to move anytime soon. Gaia's ears perked up and she turned to look at the exit. I ignored her weirdness and waited with mom for anything to happen.

"We have a problem," Gaia replies while standing to her feet.

"What?"

"Hunters, a few miles from here."

"Both of you take care of it. We cannot let anyone get too close to this cave. We all know what may happen then." Gaia and I nod before zipping out the cave towards the sound of traveling hunters. Gaia was right about them being nearby since we didn't have to go that far. It was a small group about seven or eight of them max. All of them had weapons behind their backs and rode on horses. The biggest one, I'm assuming is the leader, hops off his horse when he spots Gaia.

"Hey there." he smiles as he approaches Gaia.

"I can't let you pass. Your welcome to go along the stream but going forward is not an option." The leader looked confused at her statement as he analyzed her face.

"You look familiar. Just like that royal child that's missing." He replies with his hand to his chin. Dad told them we were missing?

"She looks like that brown haired royal. What's her name?"

"Antoinette I think."

"Its Alina." Gaia answers

"There it is. I knew it had an A in it. You must be Gaia, her only daughter." One of the travelers comment from his horse.

"Royal huh? What would you be doing all the way out here?" The leader smiles as if he has just found a rare buck.

"I can't tell you that."

"Well, then you can at least let our horses through." The leader replies as he climbs up top his horse.

"I can't do that either," Gaia answers as the men inch forward. My curse got antsy at their movements and I knew I would shift soon. I noticed Gaia's eyes darken,

"Just let us through darling, we won't tell ya mama where you been." One of them chuckles.

"I said no," Gaia growls while looking up at them. Her red eyes glared them down and a few of them stopped chuckling.

"She must be just like the royal children." One of them whispers. The leader looked intrigued as he climbed down once again.

"How interesting. I thought there were only two." He remarks as he steps towards Gaia.

"You best let us through, we're not afraid of no cursed," Gaia smirked at his reply

"You oughta be." The men instantly pulled their arrows out and I shifted. I stood protectively behind Gaia and snarled at them.