Chapter 4: The Trials of Friendship

"Please explain to me why you failed to mention the fact that our daughter does magic?" I questioned my wife as she sat in front of her vanity mirror. She stops brushing her hair for a moment like she was caught in the act. I hate the fact that she continues to not be completely honest with me. Olivia is my daughter too.

"Before you get upset-" she starts calmly, and I cut her off.

"Too late for that part. I think I'm allowed to be upset about the fact that you continue to hide things from me. You are my wife and the mother of my children, anything regarding the two of them or you I deserve to know." She stands to her feet and places a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry for not telling you. And you are absolutely right, you deserve to know the truth about us."

"Us?"

"Years ago, I went to see a witch who told me about my true cursed bloodline. She told me that my great grandmother was apart of the sixth bloodline."

"There aren't six cursed bloodlines, only five." She shook her head and walked over to her vanity once more. She opened one of the drawers and pulled out a small folded parchment letter. She walked back over and opened it up for me.

"There are six cursed bloodlines. Our children and I are apart of the Genevieve bloodline. The original cursed family erased her existence due to to...unfortunate circumstances." she finishes off. I take the paper from her and look at the blood written family tree. On the next page, it had a description of this so-called sixth bloodline and exactly who Genevieve was.

"It says she burned down villages and families. She killed thousands of people." I argue as I lower the paper. That's more than an unfortunate circumstance.

"Yes, but it was from constant abuse. The point is Genevieve was part witch part wolf and part vampire. That's why both of the twins have magic."

"Both of them? The only one I saw use their magic was Olivia."

"Olivia may be the only one exploring her abilities. Drax may be afraid," she answers as she walks back to her vanity and stashes the letters inside.

"So we tell her to stop."

"And risk the effects of pent-up magic? I don't think so."

"Well, we can't keep letting her read from that book. She almost suffocated Drax to death."

"What book?" I fill her in on the spotty information that Drax gave me. Most of it was jumbled and didn't make much sense, but most of it did. Addeline looked nervous when I finished explaining.

"Is something wrong?" I question

"It sounds like they were at my old cottage. Which is odd and I have no idea how the twins knew how to get there. The human fraction is in shambles, nothing is recognizable so how did they manage to find my old cottage and my grandmothers spell book?" she questions and I thought quietly to myself for a moment. I never thought about that. Drax never said they were following a map or anything so how did they find it. I don't doubt their exploration skills, but I know that a couple of seven-year-olds wouldn't just find a decade old faction on their own. There might be something else at play here.

"Should we be concerned?" I question

"Not yet, but we should keep our ears to the ground. I have a feeling they didn't just find that book on an accident."