Chapter 86

Chapter 86

A vibrating sensation pulsed up my neck to my head, over and over again. My body was still, but the orange sun-lit ceiling above me was swirling. My mouth was moving with gasps and grunts, but all I could hear was a high pitch ring and nothing else. Didn't distract me from my pain though. My head, my skull, throbbed intensely. Jesus fuck, what happened? Somehow, my hand found its way to my head on the ground. It was tingly, pulsing, but all I felt was wetness through my hair. Blood.

No, no, no, I can't be slowed down. I can't be hurt or in trouble, I'm so close! The thought of not making it kicked me into panic mode! I tried moving, rolling on my side, sitting up... but the spinning walls and floor weighed my body back down. Even if I could get up and work through the pain, I was very weak. I shook my bloody head against the floor in denial, adding to my already swirling vision. No, no, my fucking god, no! Get up! Hurry!

Before my vision could stabilize, the mass of a man entered my sight. He was towering over me, and though I couldn't see details, he moved fast. He reached over towards the kitchen counter, bent down towards me, and roughly grabbed my arms. The man dragged them above my pounding, shoved my wrists together, and locked them with something. It felt like a thick heavy-duty zip-tie! I tried resisting, getting up again, I really did... but my vision and pain didn't allow for it! Fuck! Get up!

The ringing in my ears started to dim, allowing me to hear my gasps – and him shuffling over me. He stepped around me, grabbed my arms from the marble floor, and started to drag me! Drag me towards the living room I just left. My legs kicked, my body thrashed, but not enough. My vision began to clear, and with my head slacked back, I could see who was towing me. Walking backwards and pulling me into the living room was Reid Taylor. And the sight of him... was devastating.

"No, no, fuck no," I panted, thrashing harder, trying to rip my arms away from his grip, but I couldn't! It wasn't good enough! Ugh, my god, I was so fucking close! Why now? Why so close? If he had caught me earlier, I wouldn't have been so devastated, but I was so fucking close! I got this far! Far enough that I wrongly allowed myself to think I might live! There was a sliding door a few fucking yards away! But no, of course, he has to show up.

It broke my heart, it really did, but I couldn't deal with it. This was too painful of a way to die, so close to freedom, I can't let this happen! Yet, I couldn't do shit! Fucking come on! I kept fighting him, as hard as I could, but I was still too out of it. My efforts didn't even phase him, I was that vulnerable!

Though he came to a stop, the room didn't. Reid was quick to push me up into a sitting position, my back resting against what I felt to be the edge of the glass coffee table. My wrists being locked behind my back wasn't enough to stop me though! I shot forward to get away... and basically buckled back to the floor thanks to my dizziness.

Ugh, get up! Trying to blink the dizziness and pain away, he grabbed me and shoved me back up into a sitting position. This time, his hand a vice on my shoulder, while the other scrambled over my body. "You must have something besides your get-up assisting you in your heroic escape," he mumbled. Rushing from my back, to my thigh, then my hip— bitch found my gun. He pulled it from my skirt hem, shuffled away on his knees, and held it up to me.

It paused my will to fight. I couldn't do anything. Both of us breathing hard, my vision cleared after a few moments. I could see the gun aimed towards me without it swaying. I could see him in more detail too. The slight stubble along his cheeks and sharp chin, his eyebrows creased, his wild yet calculating eyes set on me.... I hated it. Hated the sight of this man. He was wearing an untucked white dress shirt and blue tie. What I wouldn't give to add a splash of blood red to his business attire, but I wasn't exactly in a position to do that.