Chapter 72

Chapter 72

The remainder of the trip was relaxing and fun. On our second day, we rented a canoe and took it out on the lake. Rowing the oars, making jokes, enjoying the weather.... Other than that, our day was nothing but smiles and lazing around. It was the best thing our minds and bodies could ask for.

The day we needed to leave was difficult. The moment I woke up, my entire body flooded with dread. I didn't want to go back. Fuck, I did not want to go back. During the mini-vacation, I blocked out the horrible reality and it allowed us to have the best time. Now, driving back with Luke, my mind raced with what was waiting for us.

My stomach was uneasy, to the point where I felt sick. No matter how much I tried staying optimistic, my nerves would not stop poisoning my stomach. Head resting against the passenger side window, I mindlessly stared at the raindrops sticking to the other side. The droplets slid down, some fast and some slow. My eyes followed their path as they slid in front of my face.

The gloomy day matched my gloomy mood. Sure, I sound emo, but can you blame me? Everything racing through my brain was just depressing. Death, prison, death... or a small chance of finding the headquarters if I've been good for Santa this year.

Beyond the droplets and haze of rain, we were passing fields and patches of trees. Though we were on this road only two days ago, the blurs of yellow and orange leaves were more frequent. Autumn was more prominent. It was also cooler outside, which was why I was in sweatpants and Luke's jacket.

"Did you want to stop and eat somewhere for breakfast?" he asked.

Feeling sick to my stomach did not make me want to eat. "Let's go to Mexico and change our names for breakfast." Honestly, I wouldn't mind going to Mexico at this point. Tacos, drugs.... Not bad.

"You're not hungry then, honey?" He rested his hand over mine, using his index finger to play with my ring. It was a nice reminder of the future if we happen to make it out of this shitfest.

"No, I'm good, but we can get you something," I said, glancing over to him.

"I'm not too hungry." Focus remaining on the wet road, he sighed. After a long moment of silence, he spoke again. "Albany, it's going to be okay."

His sudden words brought a small smile to my face. Not because I believed him. Just... those words coming from his mouth. It was such a Luke thing to say, especially this late in the game. He knew as well as me things might not be 'okay' by the end of this. The fact that he said it though, that he reassured me, it was a stamp on who Luke was. Flipping my hand over, I twined out fingers and squeezed.

Our drive in the light rain continued in silence. Both of us were lost in our own thoughts. Then, Luke spoke up. "Do you feel that?"

Besides the usual couple bumps in the road, there was nothing weird I could feel. "No."

Arching a brow, a small smile reached his face. "You don't feel the truck shuddering?"

"No."

"Oh man," he groaned, pointing through the windshield to the hood of the truck. "It's starting to smoke too."

Was he breathing in fumes? On drugs? Peering through the wet glass and continuous wipers, I couldn't see any sign of smoke. "What are you talking about? There's nothing there, dumbass," I laughed.

His wide eyes shot over to mine. "Oh, it's there. This truck needs a break," he said, slowing down. He pulled off onto the side of the wet road. Cutting the engine, there was no sound other than the pelting rain and the windshield wipers every few seconds.