Chapter 47

Chapter 47

The rain's continuous clatter against the truck roof filled the silence between us. The windshield wipers and passing cars added to the noise too. While the sounds were soothing, it did nothing to ease the awkwardness between us. Where were the life-threatening gunshots when you need them?

It didn't matter that we lived only ten minutes away from Carter. The tension turned it into thirty. I couldn't even bring myself to look away from the blur of colors through the passenger window. All thanks to Carter's announcement.  

Carter's sledgehammer words to the gut crippled the rhythm between us. It left both Luke and I stunned the moment he said it. My breath hitched and stomach heaved. The sensation was more powerful than what my constant thoughts and longing over the man could do. Because this... this was insane. Carter shot this unheard-of concept out of nowhere and made it visible. It was more shocking than his girlfriend claim. Yet, there was no doubt in my head. Luke's reaction validated it.

I'll probably never forget the vivid moment between us in Carter's apartment. My wide eyes shifted immediately to Luke after those words hit the air. Luke's jaw went slack. Everything in his gaze cleared. They stayed frozen in Carter's, just like his locked and stone solid body. He didn't know what to say, how to properly respond or react.

When the shock thawed, Luke's gaze fell to his feet. There was no comeback, no quip – and that was the selling point. His only response was a dismissive scoff. Like it was nothing, but we all knew better. Clearly, he was trying to play it off, aware of my presence. He angled his head in my direction, but didn't raise his eyes. His lips parted for a second, as if he was about to explain. Then... he couldn't. Shaking his head, he faltered and turned back to Carter.

Aggravation returning, his eyes lifted and narrowed on the giddy freak. "I'll bring you the money later today. Then, you get your shit done," he hissed, taking a deep breath. "Albany, we're leaving."

We got in the truck and went on our way, a new and heavy chemical weighing in the reality between us. Nothing else was said. Honestly, I was fine with that. Because really, what needed to be said? If we spoke about this, it would only make the awkwardness increase. Not to mention, what needed to be said? It is what it is. Nothing could take away what Carter revealed. And really, it wasn't that big of a deal, was it? That was three years ago. Luke probably wasn't thinking. He was in a bad state of mind. Yeah, no big deal.

Sinking my teeth into my bottom lip, I took a deep breath. Finally allowing myself to face forward in my seat, I strained my eyes to the left. His hand rested on the side of the steering wheel, body leaned back against the seat. Luke's eyes on the road appeared contemplating with his lowered eyebrows.

I understood why a moment later. The man wanted to break the tension. Not looking away from the road, he finally spoke. "Can you believe him? A girlfriend? And needing four grand," he said with annoyance.

Fully turning towards him, my heart jumped. His body was clearly tense. Relaxed back into the bench seat of the truck was just an act, one he could not sell. Not even with the casual conversation he started. Of course, when he glanced to me for a small second, I'm sure my calm façade wasn't convincing either. Making eye contact with him struck me hard. My guard faltered, my argument to myself weakened. The sweet and awkward green eyes of Luke, the man who bought me an engagement ring. The man who... wanted me to be his....

No, no. Not a big deal. Looking back to the window, I pulled my shit together. Luke was trying to defuse the tension, I wouldn't fight that. "No, I don't think I can believe that. I mean a girlfriend..." I chuckled with disbelief. "And four thousand dollars. That sounds crazy for just equipment."