Chapter 55

Chapter 55

The disbelief was as strong as it was last night. It fluttered like butterflies under my skin. Especially as my eyes sucked in every beautiful detail of his face. How was this possible? Waking up in Luke's arms, it was a gift. An unbelievable privilege. Quite an overwhelming one too because it validated the events of last night.

When I woke a few minutes ago, I could not rip my body away from his. Luke sleeping on his back, my cheek was pressed against his warm bare chest. The dim and cloudy light also allowed me to see my arm sprawled across him. I would have been able to see my leg wrapped against his too if it wasn't for the black cover that reached up and stopped below his chest.

The wonderful sensation of his arm wrapped around my back, holding the front of my body against his side, brought a sleepy smile to my face. It grew even more when I noticed I was the first one awake. Blinking away my tiredness, I tilted my head up until my cheek rested near his shoulder. I could see his relaxed face angled down in my direction.

Laying against him, I couldn't stop taking in this man. Minutes upon minutes, my eyes traced over all the details of his face. Don't blame me though. When you do think the last time was that I was this close to his face? This close, for this long, with no time limit or reason to look away? Yeah, it's been a couple years. That's right, be jealous.

Jesus, I was laying against him. Luke. And this wasn't a dream? How? I didn't understand how someone this beautiful wanted me. My confusion grew as my gaze searched. The gloomy daylight was enough to light his smooth skin, clear pores, and the prickly hairs along his lower cheeks and chin. I admired the small lines spaced vertically along his lips. Those relaxed lips were also framed by short wiry facial hair. They grew under his nose before the slight stubble reached down on each side of his mouth.

I couldn't help but raise my arm from his chest. Not wanting to wake him, I carefully cupped his cheek. Running my thumb against his prickly hairs, the rough texture made me smile. Glancing up, I took in his closed eyelids. His bushy eyebrows were perched above them. His forehead was smooth besides a few permanent lines. Some were blocked by intruding messy hair. His hair was mostly muffled against the pillow.

I bit my smile. Last night was crazy and I still couldn't wrap my head around it. But taking in his details made what happened more powerful. As powerful as every inch of Luke's sweet face.

I noticed something easily overlooked: the scar inflicted by Clare. Barely visible and on the far side of his face, the long line ran down his temple and ended below his ear. It reminded me of how much of an angel he was. How much he has done for me. What did he see in me? Good god, any woman would be lucky to have him.

Caressing his cheek inches away from my face, Luke began to wake. My hand stilled on his cheek when he stretched beneath me. His arm around me came alive and tightened. Then, after another moment, his remarkable eyes opened.

It took several seconds of blinking for that bright green to focus on mine. Through his tired haze, a lazy smile spread across those lips. Turning onto his side and facing me, his arms wrapped fully around me, holding me to his bare and warm body.

"Hi," I smiled as I continued caressing his cheek.

Our heads now resting on the pillow, he fought all signs of sleep away. In its place was a sweet energy growing between us. We were enjoying this moment, this point in time. Of waking up together for the first time in a long time.

Finally, he whispered with a groggily voice. "You're even more beautiful in the morning."

Christ, it's a little early to try to induce a heart attack. Not like I cared. Afraid my stuttering heart and zipping mind would be reflected in my voice, all I could do was blush and grin.