Chapter 1

Monday, September 1, 2020

8:22 AM

Nia was so relieved that high school was over. She had graduated and got accepted into UCLA with a full scholarship. Today, her, Jameer, and Anaya were going to be packing up and moving to their apartment, with the help of the boys of course. Boston had been in limited contact with Jameer since the Miami trip. Nia was so excited to be living with her friends, not to mention the complex was close to Roscoe's.

"Nia you ready to go?". Nia's Mom Deedra came into her now empty room.

"Yeah. I'm all packed up and ready to go". Nia looked around her empty room.

"Awww, my baby. I'm gonna be here all alone". Deedra smiled.

"It's gonna be ok Momma. I'm gonna visit as often as I can. Plus UCLA isn't that far". Nia reassured her.

They waited for everybody else to show up so they could help Nia move her things into the apartment.

"Did you get me a key to the apartment?". Deedra questioned.

"You wanted a key?". Nia frowned.

"Uhm-yes. As your Mother, I need to check up on you from time to time". Deedra put her hand on her hip.

"Ma that is so lame. Ain't no college student in this world want they Momma checking up on them. I come home from class and you just sitting in the living room like no that's weird". Nia reasoned.

"Ok but what if you need me for something and I can't get into the apartment?". Her Mom tried to reason.

"Ma, that's why you get the key from Naya or Jameer. I just don't think you should have a key to the apartment right now". Nia sighed.

Just then the rest of Nia's friends pulled up.

"I gotta go Anaya and them are outside". Nia let out a breath.

She opened the door and Roscoe scooped her up.

"I missed you so much shorty". Roscoe kissed her all over her face making her giggle.

"Boy you seen me last week and we've been face timing ever since". Nia smiled.

Roscoe had been travelling a lot with Stancey Gould. After his first show with him, Stancey had been asking Roscoe back to countless shows. It was giving Roscoe a great start in the music industry.

"Hey bih. You ready to go?". Anaya came and hugged Nia.

"Yes. I just got like ten boxes and my bed". Nia walked upstairs. Jameer was in the dining room talking to Nia's Mom. She was eight months pregnant and nobody would let her lift a finger.

"So Jameer what do you plan on doing once your little one gets here?". Deedra questioned.

"Well, I have mostly afternoon classes so Nia and Anaya offered to help me out. But my Mom would be helping me with babysitting if Nia or Anaya wasn't available". Jameer answered.

"Have you talked to Boston at all? How's he treating you through all of this?". Deedra really cared about Jameer's well being.

"Uhm-Boston hasn't really talked to me about what will happen once the baby gets here. He just disappeared once everybody else found out. I've talked to him maybe once or twice about everything and he just seems like it's gonna go away. I heard he's going to college in New York to play ball but that's just what I heard from the streets. I don't know if it's true or not. But once she is here I do plan on filing for child support because it isn't fair to her or me that Boston isn't involved". Jameer explained.

"Well, I wish you the best sweety. Me and the church gonna be praying for you and your little one". Deedra squeezed Jameer's hand.

"Thank you so much Ms. Brown. That means a lot". Jameer smiled.

"I keep telling y'all kids to call me Deedra". Nia's mom stood up.

"Ok, Jameer. We can go to the apartment now. Ma, I'll call you tonight to let chu know I made it in ok". Nia hugged her Mom one last time.

"Ok dear. I love you. And don't get over there and start acting a fool. You know I'll come up there and still whoop some ass. I don't care if you is eighteen". Nia's Mom warned making everybody but Nia laugh.

"Ok dang". Nia walked out the door. 

The girls got into Nia's car and the guys got into the Uhaul that Roscoe rented and drove in the direction of the apartment.

*

They arrived at the apartment and got everything upstairs. 

"How y'all got all y'all stuff in here but ain't unpack nothing. That's trifling". Nia complained.

"Girl we was tryna come get chu. Shit, we can't unpack without the whole crew". Anaya rolled her eyes.

"Whatever. Give me the kitchen stuff and I'll start unpacking it". Nia grabbed boxes that were labelled kitchen.

"Ok, I'll unbox the living room stuff". Shaun took on a job.

"I guess I'll go put my stuff up". Jameer walked off to the back.

"She probably bout to go unpack one box and then knock out". Roscoe joked.

"Most likely". Nia chuckled.

She was so excited, classes would start next week and of course she had already gon clothes shopping. She was just so ready for adulthood, or so she thought.