Chapter 27: His Loyal Follower

He can't be dead.

The castle continued to rattle unstably, dust descending upon everyone's shoulders with each attack that it had absorbed from the enemy line, and from the now open windows, Emily could see the protective barriers were now almost completely gone.

He - He just came back to his family, he had finally seen the light and now... It can't end like this, not when his entire future was waiting for him.

The girl remained blank in the face, her feet plastered onto the ground, feeling every curse that damaged the castle walls. All that she could see is the sight of Ron peeling Fred off of their dead brother, who had been protecting him from further harm.

If anything, he's in a safe place. Unlike the rest of us.

A stiff breeze ran past Emily's shoulders, confirming her realization that half of the castle had been blown open, and from that abyss of darkness that bit into the castle, curses flew in at them, hitting the wall behind them

A stiff breeze ran past Emily's shoulders, confirming her realization that half of the castle had been blown open, and from that abyss of darkness that bit into the castle, curses flew in at them, hitting the wall behind them. Awakened from her nightmare, Emily jumped back to her senses and commanded everyone to go down to the floor. She and Blaise both grabbed Daphne, who was rendered frozen with her focus on the open wall, and pulled her to safety before a curse smacked her in the head, but still, at this moment, Fred could not pull himself away from Percy's body despite Ron and Harry's orders.

Emily fled towards the Weasleys on bent knees, her heart lurching at the sight of Percy's pale face. Tears streaked the grimy faces of Fred and Ron, an unmistakable look of fear and despair riddled their eyes, Emily grabbed Fred by the shoulders but he could not be budged. "Fred, I'm sorry, but us staying here like this won't help anyone - We have to go - "

Hermione screamed, and Emily, turning her attention to her and where she looked, need not ask why. The younger Potter twin had never seen a spider as big as the one speeding towards them after it had crawled through a massive hole in the wall, maybe only this time she could understand Ron's intense fear of spiders.

Draco and Daphne shouted together; their spells colliding, toppling the first of many Acromantulas, and as it blew backward with its legs jerking like something out of a horror film, it flew into the incoming group of spiders, blasting them away much so like a bowling ball. Emily, Blaise, Hermione, and Harry followed suit and fired Stunning Spells down upon the gaping hole of the castle, knocking each monster that attempted to enter. Then more curses came soaring over Emily's head, it had been so close that she could smell her singed hair.

She returned again to Fred and Ron, her blood boiling. "We are moving, NOW." Emily stooped down to seize Percy's body under the armpits, Fred, seeing her abrupt movements, stopped clinging to his brother's body and began to carry Percy together, crouching low to avoid the curses flying overhead with Ron protecting their backside while Harry and Hermione led the way while Daphne, Draco, and Blaise threw curse after curse with Ron.

Once the group entered a deserted classroom, Emily and Fred rested Percy's lifeless body on the teacher's table, cold and pale like fresh snow; She looked up at the Weasley brothers, both with contorted faces smeared with rage and grief. Hermione had consoled the vengeful look on Ron's face, repeating over and over again his innate need to kill Death Eaters, but his voice was only calmed by the girl's cries. "Ron, we're the only ones who can end it – Please, we need the snake we've got to kill the snake!"