Chapter 23: I'll Still Have Me

"I feel nervous, are you two nervous?"

"Daphne – "

"I'm just saying how I feel. Blaise has missed out a lot, he has no idea what's waiting for him here." Daphne ran her hands up and down her shoulders in a feeble attempt to soothe her shivering nerves. The thought of their best friend finally arriving from Colchester shaken them, primarily because of the memories awaiting Blaise, and then mostly because of what reaction he would have towards Draco.

It had been hours now since Harry, Ron, and Hermione left Shell Cottage. And for those hours Emily pressed her time to the art of knitting to which made no fruitful outcome despite Luna aiding her; it eventually wound up with the appearance of a giant, scrawny cotton dental floss. Emily threw down the knitting needles in the wicker basket and wrapped the thin line of yellow cotton around her neck to which Daphne looked at in shock.

"Oh Merlin, you were supposed to be knitting a scarf."

"It is a scarf."

"It looks more like a noose than a scarf."

Luna carefully unwound the material from her neck and took up the needles again. "I'll try to mend it." Emily shrugged bashfully, her eyes watching the delicate twists and turns the Ravenclaw's fingers made as she threaded through the material.

" Emily shrugged bashfully, her eyes watching the delicate twists and turns the Ravenclaw's fingers made as she threaded through the material

"Should I brace myself?" Draco asked as he leaned against the window pane. He hadn't sat down since Bill and the girls left, he acted like a tennis ball continually bouncing on each side of the court – and Emily and Daphne were the rackets that sat on either side of the room.

Draco felt immensely lucky that Emily didn't lash out in a violent manner, especially since they were a hop away from the sea. He felt confident that if she had lost her temper, she would have sent him floating off like a plank of wood in the ocean.

Daphne had simmered down after setting a murder of crows on Draco's tail. It took an hour, but they eventually came to a hug. Now that it was only Blaise left to undo his memory charm, he could not help but think of every possible outcome that Blaise might express.

The sound of a whip thundering in the air clawed away their attention from each other and focused on the front door entrance. Draco stood up and walked away from the window after seeing a glimpse of Bill and Blaise walking to the front door, his hands finicky and twitchy with his nerves. He sat down on the arm of Emily's chair in the hopes of grounding himself for what was upon him.

The Potter twin saw the tall, trembling figure that sat so near to her; she brought a hand to his back, softly running it up and down from the mid-section to his shoulder. It came carelessly like the bodily sense to see or hear, how Emily managed to calm him down seemed to be a work of magic she hadn't thought to do and yet it worked. Though all eyes were awaiting the people from the porch to come in, Draco took one look at the girl behind him and lifted her hand from his back, placing it atop his chest to feel the steady beat of his heart.