"probably the stupid mailman. never got no damn patience. just drop the package off and leave. that's what yo' job is. damn." i continued to go off under my breath as i walked down the steps, careful not to miss a step.

i had reached the door and i turned the lock and i swung it open. my eyes laid upon a familiar light-skinned boy with dark dreads that swung from his head. all the color had drained from my face in an instant. before he could even open his mouth i let out a small whimper and slammed the door in his face and put my back against it.

i breathed in and out, trying to slow my heart rate that was steadily increasing. because him showing up on my doorstep was definitely not expected.

"okay, okay. it's okay. it's okay." i kept telling myself in reassurance, but of course that didn't help. i couldn't just leave him standing out there, although i wish i could and i could just run up to my bed.

sighing heavily, my hand shakily reached for the doorknob and opened the door, facing an even more annoyed nick, and a confused bj, who didn't even notice before. 

"uh, uh... s-sorry for that.." i said in a whisper, not even able to look up at him, so i looked at the slides on his feet.

"first of all, don't ever slam no fucking door in my face." he spat, completely disregarding my apology.

"hey!" bj said, causing both of us to look down at him. "no sweawing!" he said. it was adorable because he wasn't able to say his 'r' correctly.

nick looked at him and rolled his eyes. "hmm." he hummed, not bothering to answer.

"um, why are you h-here?" i stuttered, moving away from the door. it made me feel weird when i was standing right in front of him.

he took this as me letting him inside and with bj grasping nick's left hand, they stepped inside, nick purposely brushing shoulders with me.

i stumbled back a bit, but not too much. i sighed in dejection and closed the door.

"go sit on the couch over dea'." he instructed the little boy. he nodded his head and climbed onto the couch and intently focused on the tablet in his little fingers.

nick still didn't answer my question, and i was a little confused as to why he just walked in here and told bj to have a seat like they lived here or something.

"w-why are you--" i began to ask again but he cut me off.

"look, i'm here because i need bj to stay over at yo' house for a lul' bit." he went on ahead and talked.

"why?" i asked, fiddling with my sleeves.

he rolled his eyes at me. "because, i'm gonna go and pick up my shorty, and them have some of my niggas over."

"wh--

before i could say anything else i was caught off yet again, but this time by luna who stood in middle of the stairwell, running her hands through her short bob.

"isaiah who was that ringing the bell?" she asked.

when she reached the bottom of the steps she looked at nick and nick looked back at her, a small smirk beginning to form on his face.

"oh. it's you." she said. i couldn't tell if it was detest or sarcasm in her voice. i would have responded the same way.

"welp." she said shrugging her shoulders. "i'm going back upstairs then." she turned on her heel and retreated up the steps. 

"luna, wait!" i guess she didn't hear me when i called for her. i really wanted her to stay down here so i wouldn't have to face nick, because this is giving me serious anxiety.