Chapter #33 John

"John," a soft voice called out, a smile on their lips. I could hear the satisfaction in their sigh as I turned around, crossing my arms.

    "What is it Claire?" I asked, a bit annoyed that I had been stopped before I could have begun to get started on the project.

     Her shining green hair swayed in the two braids she kept them in, she put both hands behind her back innocently, and gave me all her attention. "Well," she cocked her head to the side, "are you free tomorrow?"

      I knew where this was leading to, so I smirked, and turned around, facing my project once more. "Well," I could even hear the amusement in my own voice, "depends on my options..."

       "Options?"

      I turned around, full on grinning now. "Oh Claire," I began, "you don't actually think that your the only one I spend time with, right?"

     Her face flushed red, and she stared at the ground. But as much as I was good at playing this game, she always seemed to be one step in front of me. "Well John," she glanced up at me, "its okay, I understand." A little sigh escaped her lips, "if your busy, I wont bother you." She turned around, "I'll ask someone else..."

      I pursed my lips, making a big grim line on my face. In reality, she was the only one I actually hanged out with these days, and acting tough like this always seemed to backfire on me anyway...

     "Claire," I reached for her hand, "I said I had options, but you know I'll always choose you."

     When she turned around, she looked almost stunned at my words, and almost guilty. "Really?" She closed her eyes, and let our a giggle of laughter, "well, that's nice to hear."

      She grabbed my hand, and dragged me out the door. "Now," she instructed, "if your coming with me tomorrow, we need to get you something."

       My lip curved upward, and I stared at her, amused. "And what would that be?" Nothing come up, and I couldn't exactly picture what my friend beside me was planning.

     "Nothing bad," she promised, "but since you obviously forgot what tomorrow is, I'll have to remind you, wont I?"

      I shrugged, "what did you expect? I'm not very observant, as you can tell."

       She rolled her eyes, and latched one of her arms on my shoulder. "Well, anyway. I need you to lift me up."

      I lifted my eyebrow, "and what for? Weren't you going to tell me what was going on tomorrow?"

       She hit my shoulder playfully, "I will, I just need you to carry me for a second, then you'll see."

       It was my turn for my face to flush red, "fine," I muttered. With that, she lifted herself onto my shoulder, and then climbed onto something else. I shrank when she used me as a stool, and watched as she grabbed onto the tree right in front of us, and launched herself up.

     She reached for my hand, almost as an offer to climb up as well. "Grab on," she smiled, "then I will tell you!"

     I reached for her hand, and with all her might, she tried to lift me up. But her efforts were futile, and I stayed attached to the ground.

     Well, thats gravity.

     "Claire," I spoke up, "I'm taller than you, I can actually climb the tree." I grinned, "I'm not miniature."