9 | "I'M SORRY"

One of the saddest things I'm beginning to realize is that some people are waiting for an apology that may never come, in order to move on. So can I apologize for the offender right now? God wants you to move on so badly, but he doesn't want you to move on without healing.

I am truly sorry for every thing and every person who has ever hurt you. I am sorry for every person who never showed up for you. I am sorry for the racism you experienced. I am sorry for the sexual abuse. I am sorry for the verbal abuse. I am sorry they left. I am sorry they let you go. I am sorry they didn't choose you. I am sorry.

But can we invite God into this area? Will you give your pain to God? Your pain does not have to be a prison. Your pain has a purpose, and managing it yourself can be exhausting.

I want you to allow God to free you from all the moments where no one encouraged you. I want you to allow God to free you from all the things that have been said to you, and all the things not said enough to you. Holding on to that offense, that pain, is ruining your future.

One of the ways we become free from offense is by taking the initiative in becoming the type of person you want others to be for you. If you have been longing to be encouraged, noticed, and appreciated—then go find somebody who is discouraged, unnoticed, and unappreciated and be everything to them that you have always longed to have for yourself.

Choose to encourage others like crazy. Highlight the small, wonderful details about them. Appreciate what others bring to the table. There may be unresolved tension between you and someone you love all because you feel unnoticed, unappreciated, and undervalued by them. Stop allowing offense to put a wedge between you and those you love. Do your part. Notice them. Appreciate them. Value them. Whatever you do, don't live another day of your life stifled by the poison of offense. 

Readings:
""If you forgive others their sins, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you don't forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your sins." Matthew‬ ‭6:14-15‬ ‭CEB‬‬
"Your speech should always be gracious and sprinkled with insight so that you may know how to respond to every person."
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭4:6‬ ‭CEB‬‬
"Then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, how many times should I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Should I forgive as many as seven times?" Jesus said, "Not just seven times, but rather as many as seventy-seven times." Matthew‬ ‭18:21-22‬ ‭CEB‬‬