Chapter 38

Nightstreak's P.O.V.

"So you let her get away....." Megatron said, his tone clearly unpleased. 

"I am afraid so, my liege. Deepest apologies," Dreadwing said, giving a bow, "It was my fault. I allowed the wretch to get away." If I could frown, I would. I felt bad. I didn't think Dreadwing would get in trouble. I only wanted to release Airachnid, not get him into trouble. Breakdown uneasily shuffled his foot, looking away. I took a step forward to stand beside Dreadwing, kneeling down on one foot.

"No, Dreadwing is not to blame at all." I stated. That made both of them look at me in surprise.

"Dreadwing had chosen Breakdown and I for his required backup, but it seems I was unsuited for the task. I attempted to hunt down Airachnid, but she got away. This mission was my fault, not Dreadwing's nor is it Breakdown's." I stated. Dreadwing looked at me in shock, seeming to want to say something, but instead he remained silent. I could hear heavy footsteps behind me, causing me to look back. Breakdown had knelt down just as I had.

"In her defense, my actions might've been.....reckless. Had it not been for Nightstreak, it's possible I wouldn't be standing here." he admitted. I turned to look back at our leader, who kept his blank expression on, still unreadable as usual. I looked down, deciding to not look up again unless I was addressed to. There was a long silence, making me feel nervous. Would he punish us? 

"....Breakdown. Nightstreak. You are both dismissed." Megatron replied. I looked up, then loked at Breakdown, who wore the same surprised expression as I did. Then I looked to my master as I slowly rose to my feet.

"What about Dreadwing?" I asked.

"I must share words with Dreadwing before he is dismissed." Megatron replied. I was nervous of leaving Dreadwing behind, however the absence of anger in Megatron's optics made me feel surprisingly calm again. Was he not mad anymore? Either way, not wanting to disturb the two any longer, I turned to follow Breakdown down out of the room and down the hallway.

Le time skip

"I hope he didn't get into any trouble." I said. 

"Hey, on the plus side, at least we didn't get into any trouble." Breakdown said. Knockout gave him a slightly annoyed expression, placing his hands on his hips. 

"You're lucky to even be here right now. If Nightstreak hadn't saved you, Airachnid would probably have torn you into shreds, and leave you for scrap for humans to find." he stated. "Sorry sorry, won't happen again. Jeez." Breakdown said. He turned to me however.

"Then again, I never did thank you for saving me did I? Well, thanks." he said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. 

"Of course. I'd do anything to protect a fellow team mate." I replied. 

"Which reminds me, you doing alright? I mean, trying to actually terminate Airachnid. I honestly didn't think you'd be alright because, well...." Knockout said, but he began to trail off, seeming hesitant to continue. However I only flickered my wings happily.

"I'm fine, really. While I didn't want to execute Airachnid, I did not wish to disappoint Megatron any further. However I seemed to have failed at that." I said. "Hey don't beat yourself up over that, that wretch is not easy to destroy." Breakdown said with a laugh. However his expression turned into a curious one.

"However, I am curious. How did you handle fighting Airachnid by yourself and come back without a single scratch. I was stuck to that webbing for awhile, and I was certain I was gonna come back to a corpse." he said. I placed my hands on my hips.

"Is that your way of saying I'm weak?" I asked teasingly. Breakdown suddenly looked taken aback, again looking away awkwardly.

"No no, that isn't it! I just-"