2

I woke up, looking at the ceiling of a shitty motel room in a shitty little town in Ohio. I've been here for two days now, working in a diner as a waitress. It was an early afternoon since I've been doing the night shifts. The sky was full of clouds, I guess it'd start to rain soon. Chess was laying next to me and looked up when I sat up.
"Hey there, pretty boy. Want something to eat don't you?" I smiled at him and stroked his white fur.

I got up to get a shower after I'd made him some delicious meal out of the bin. At the last time, our food looked always quite similar. The bath was small, but it would do for the time I stayed here. It was plain white, with an curtain that should have been changed three years ago. Also a reason why I only got in the shower with some flip flops on.

When I was done, I twirled my hair up in a turban and left the bathroom with only a towel around my torso. It was quite warm in the room eventhough the air conditioner was on high. Shitty motels. I sat down on the edge of the bed and turned on the way too old TV. It was small and seemed like it was new when my granddad was a kid but it worked.
The news where on, so I turned up the volume. They said something about a pair being brutally murdered just like .. my parents. It happened last night and the case seemed to be identical with the one my parents were involved in. I didn't need to know more.

When I turned off the TV and got dressed, I thought about what I would do to get some information. Maybe I could flirt with some sheriff or just steal the documents. I had to improvise to get what I want. I decided to dress a little business-like. Maybe someone would mistake me as an important person when I got there.
In a skirt, reaching down to my knees and a black blazer I left the motel and Chess to finally find the guy that killed my parents.

---

When I got there, I was greeted with many people in uniforms. Police men, even paramedics and firemen where there. They blocked to whole road and tried to keep off curious watchers as good as they could. In a small town like this, where everybody knows everybody, you can't hide anything. Especially nothing like this. I saw many people, most of them in shock of what had happened. Some were in tears, because they'd known the deceased couple. In the news, i already got to know that they were around the age my parents have been. So the asshole seemed to have a preference for young parents.

But one person got my attention the most: he was sitting on the edge of an ambulance. His glare was empty, his eyes reddened from the tears he has been crying. I instantly knew who he was. Their son. A policeman tried to talk to him but he wouldn't respond. I had a huge flashback in that moment, seeing me in his exact position when the sheriff told me what had happened. I knew his misery and how much he must be hurt.

When the policeman left him alone, I tried to sneak near him. Nobody really took notice of me. They all had never experienced something like this, you could tell by their faces.
"Hey kid, whats your name?" I wispered when I got close to him.
He slightly turned his head when he heard my voice, but wouldn't care enough to turn completely into my direction, so I stepped a little closer to him.
"Jake," he wispered.
"Hey uhm .. I'm very sorry for what has happened to you. Nobody should lose their parents like this," I said, kneeling in front of him.
"They weren't my parents," he said in a dull voice. It cracked at the end, tears running down his face again. "They've adopted me when I was seven."
What?
I narrowed my eyebrows, surprised at how similar our cases actually were. We both looked up when a deep roar could be heard. It was an old Chevrolet Impala, black like mine. Two men in suits got out of it, they checked out the scrne from outside and exchanged some words, before they made their way to the nearest officer. I could see them holding up badges, stating that they were FBI Agents.
Seems like I've found my source. I thought and turned back to the boy.
"I'm telling you something. The exact same thing has happened to me. I came here to get the guy who killed my parents when I was 16." By how his eyes widened, I could tell that's how old he was. "What about you would come to my motel this evening so we can talk about this a little more .. private." I was talking quiet, making sure nobody would hear me. I turned my head to see where the Agents were. They were talking to the detective, the tall one was writing down information on a little block, nodding. Suddently he stoped and looked at his partner, sharing a knowing glaze.

When the detective turned around and pointed at Jake, I got back up and stepped a little aside. I gave him a little note with the name of the motel and my room number before heading back to my car. For a short time, I made eye contact with the smaller one. His piercing green eyes looked at me sceptically. That wouldn't be the last time we would meet, I knew that.

When I got into my car, I watched the two talking to Jake. Their backs were turned in my direction, not allowing me to see their faces. I drove off when they went into the house.