Chapter 32 - Scores to settle

My ankle was on fire, while glass stuck in my skin like tiny needles

My ankle was on fire, while glass stuck in my skin like tiny needles. I felt something warm and wet trickle past my eyebrow and down my cheek. My fingers traced the side of my face and my fingers came back red with blood. The soft glow from the burning building behind me made my own blood seem darker. Tracing the blood to my forehead my fingers skimmed over a large piece of glass stuck in my forehead. I winced when the glass moved, sending a searing pain straight through my skull.

I'll just add this to my list of dumb-ass ideas today. Jumping through a glass window.

Sitting up I took a deep breath and grabbed the tip of the glass. I yanked the piece out and a whimper escaped my lips. My skin tingled where the glass had been stuck and when I touched it again there wasn't a gash but what felt like a bump.

My eyes tried to adjust to the dark but all I saw was the outline of the woods, illuminated by a full moon. The lights had been cut leaving the flaming building and the moon's glow as my only light source. Careful not to hurt my ankle, I started to rise, with wobbling legs, I made my way around the building. Car doors closed in the distance and I heard feet shuffling in the grass.

I hissed in a warning and I felt my eyes burn. The darkness seemed to ebb and my eyes focused on everything around me. Swinging around, I crouched down into an attacking stance. Whoever was trying to attack me now would damn well regret it.

"Shit, Syd, what happened to you?"

My knees felt weak when I realized it was Noah's voice and I almost cried in relief when I felt his arms circle around my body. Peter was standing behind him. When Noah released me, I rushed to Peter and gave him a hug. At first, he seemed surprised but eventually hugged me back. I was just happy they were both okay and didn't even have a scratch on them.

"Syd, what happened you look like crap?" Peter asked.

I laughed, "Oh you know I ran through a window."

Both of the boys laughed and I sighed, it was finally over. For the most part at least.

Peter was staring at the burning building, "Well that seems to be the end of Biotech then." he said

I smiled at him and Noah, "Let's go home."

A click sounded behind us and I spun around. Miranda was standing a few feet behind us. The moonlight caught the glint of the gun she had pointed in our direction.

"Not quite yet," a smirk pulled at the corner of her mouth, "You didn't honestly believe it would be that simple?"

I pushed Peter and Noah behind me, trying to shield them with my arms. My heart started beating faster and I tried scanning our surroundings. There was nothing but the woods and the bullets would pierce our bodies long before we reached the safety of the trees. So there was no place left to run. We may have underestimated Dr. Freeman.