Chapter 4 - Notes and lockers

The deer continued to graze along the road

The deer continued to graze along the road. I heard the sound its teeth made as it chewed. The deer was large, with antlers arching outwards like gnarled tree branches and wicked-looking points.

I remained frozen in my spot, scared that I would startle the animal if I so much as breathed. My own thoughts made me sick but they were drowned out by hunger. Those needles digging into my skin were on fire, licking away at my flesh. The vice around my stomach clenched without mercy.

My hand twitched and beady black eyes swung in my direction. We stared at each other like the prey would watch the predator. The deer remained motionless as it gazed at me, then with a snort, it turned around and bolted, crashing through the bushes.

Instinct took over as I launched myself towards the deer. My speed doubled as I took chase. It was fast, but I was faster, weaving between trees and jumping over small bushes. Adrenaline pumped through my veins, urging me forward. No thought penetrated my mind only the thrill of the chase. I heard the deer's heartbeat, it's snorted breathing and galloping hooves as they desperately pounded against the ground.

It didn't get far and just as it reached the dark part of the woods, I used my legs to jump as far as I could, propelling myself through the air.

Cold wind slapped at my face and I landed on his back with a hard thud. He started to buck me off, throwing my body around in a vicious spiral. I kept a firm grip on skin and fur but he didn't stop fighting. Bucking his head back he caught my shoulder with one of his antlers.

A hiss escaped my lips as a dull pain shot down my arm. I moved my head low so he wouldn't catch me again and brought my other arm around its throat. With a quick pull to the left, I forced his neck to an awkward angle. The snap of bones bled into the night and the deer's body went slack.

As he went down I rolled to the side to avoid collapsing on top of it. I listened but I couldn't hear a heartbeat. I didn't ponder long on what to do next, instinct drove my movements. I started to rip apart its flesh, digging my fingers into its hard skin. I started on the belly first as blood and mud-covered my fingers.

I used my teeth and fingers to pull apart the meat that I swallowed down in one go. A sweet and warm taste filled my mouth making me moan in delight. In the deathly quiet of the night, the ripping and slurping sound echoed in the empty woods.

My mind cleared as my stomach reached capacity. Like a fog cloud lifted and I surveyed my handiwork for the first time.

The deer's head was bent at an awkward angle staring blankly into the dark sky. Its stomach was torn open and innards and blood were sprayed on the ground.

I brought my shaky hands in front of my eyes, they were covered in blood up to my elbows. Although my clothes were dark I could feel the warm blood soaking into the fabric where it burned against my skin.

With my mind clear and the initial chase leaving my body, I was left appalled by what I had done. Tears stung my eyes and the air in my lungs refused to leave. The gruesome scene seared itself into my mind and I was sure I would never forget this moment. The moment I turned into a monster.