Chapter 23 - Take on me

Noah and Peter were waiting at the bottom of the staircase with the ever-watchful Simon standing guard

Noah and Peter were waiting at the bottom of the staircase with the ever-watchful Simon standing guard. He was rather large with an imposing build. Broad-shouldered with a heavy frame. The lines and scars on his face spoke volumes and again, I felt innate fear coursing through my veins. He wasn't as cold as Miranda but something about him set me off.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I avoided his gaze for fear of recognition and padded my way to Noah. Simon didn't say goodbye and I'm sure not one of us really cared enough to reciprocate in any way. So we left the house in silence.

It was only after Leah's house disappeared in the rear-view mirror when I finally felt myself relax. Peter had gone ahead of us but we stayed on his tail until we were sure no one was following.

Simon's appearance set us all on edge, it meant that Miranda had someone watching her house at all times. Which in turn meant that getting in next time might not be as easy as we had initially thought.

Noah skillfully snaked through the streets of our empty town, all the way to the park. It was his safe place, his spot so to speak, and he had become mine. I knew it was wrong, letting him get close but I couldn't help it. The night was a whirlwind of events that my mind was still trying to process. 

Clouds packed together and I wondered if we would get more snow. The annoying white fluff that clung to everything like a virus. We already had layers of it covering the ground, more of it would be going overboard. 

Noah parked the truck and we hopped out. We stayed quiet but I knew Noah would start asking questions as soon as we reached the swings. 

I sat down and Noah plopped down next to me.

"What the hell happened tonight?" Noah whispered into the cold night.

I sighed, "I have no idea but this was not the eighteenth birthday, I had in mind."

"What was your idea of the perfect birthday?"

"Well not all this," I said throwing my hands up. 

"I have so many questions right now. Let's start with the most obvious one. Why aren't you drunk?"

"I have no idea but if I had to take a wildly uneducated guess, I'd say it has something to do with the whole zombie business," I took a breath of much-needed air before I continued, "Maybe my tolerance is higher."

"At long last something positive comes from being a zombie. I thought I was going to kill Peter."

"Oh, this time I would have helped you."

I looked at Noah in time to see his smile replaced by a somber expression.

"And what about that Simon guy and Leah's little outburst?"

"Remember my nightmare about being buried alive?" 

Noah scoffed, "How could I forget?"

My knee bounced as anxiety and fear took over. I had managed to keep my voice steady but I knew I was dangling on a tripwire. Noah put his hand on my knee stilling the motion and I looked up to see his face.