Chapter 13 - When it rains, it pours

Noah looked uncomfortable next to me in the truck as he fidgeted with the steering wheel

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head slowly, "No."

We drove to the old Wickery road and my pulse accelerated. There was so much going on in my head and heart that I felt like screaming.

And I was mad, no, I was furious. Anger like a live wire mixed with the toxic hunger inside me created a deadly electrical storm. The thinking part of my brain realized this was just the hunger making me feel worse but I didn't care. I lost everything, my future dreams and hopes, my best friend and honestly, my humanity was hanging on by a very thin thread.

Noah stopped just before the turnoff in front of the road, "Syd, you don't have to push her away you know?"

"Please, Noah..."

"No! You're pushing her away and you don't need to you can still have a normal life, you can still..."

A growling hiss erupted from my chest cutting off Noah's words. I felt my eyes blaze as my sanity snapped.

The truck shook as I ripped off the safety belt, "No! I can't! Look at me! Right now all I can think about is ripping you apart and having my fill."

I paused, waiting for my words to sink in and looked at Noah. He was frozen and pushed back into the far corner of the cab. I could smell his fear and the monster inside me reveled in it. Every word rang true and I knew, I was playing with fire.

The monster was so close to the surface and with my emotions in a mess, I could lose control any minute.

"I can hurt you, I can hurt her and there is a part of me that wants to. I am the monster, Noah and if you're smart you'll stay away from me too."

I threw open the cab door and launched myself out. When my feet touched the ground I was already running.

A door slammed and Noah screamed, "Syd, wait!"

I didn't stop as the dark woods swallowed me. Noah's scent drove me crazy with hunger and right now it was dangerous to be around him. I would rather take my chances in the woods that scared me to death than do something I couldn't take back.