Chapter 29 - Face to face with Death

The cages were tight, their locks placed on the outside, making it impossible for us to reach them

The cages were tight, their locks placed on the outside, making it impossible for us to reach them. The bolts at the bottom were welded together, so there was no way of pulling them out. I checked and then checked twice.

Sighing in defeat, I slumped back against the railings of the cage.

"How the hell are we supposed to get out of these things?" Noah asked.

Peter mumbled something but I tuned them out. My legs were getting stiff being in this confined space for god knows how long. I pulled my legs up, placing my feet against the other side of the bars. It wasn't much but it did provide some relief.

My mind kept drifting to Miranda with her cold and calculating eyes, studying me like some caged animal. One thing gave me comfort though. Miranda had said that I was different and that I retained my humanity. She also made it clear that there was no cure, so what that meant for the rest of my life, I wasn't entirely sure.

So that left me back at square one, I suppose.

My mind kept working, chewing on all the new information Miranda had given me. I was strong and fast but we knew that. I didn't go crazy and become a mindless zombie, which makes me the only one of my kind. My eyes flicked over to my feet propped up against the cage and an idea crashed into my brain. My plan, for lack of a better term, was simple, chances of it working was very low.

As Noah and Peter were speculating in the next cage, I braced my legs against the cage. Straining hard, I started to push with as much strength as I could muster. The metal groaned but didn't move. I pushed harder until the muscles in my legs felt like they were about to snap and a vain pulsated in my temple. Just before I was about to give up, I pushed hard one last time and a loud snap echoed through the room.

The lock clanked against the floor just as the cage door started to fall. I immediately jumped forward to catch the gate before it hit the ground. That sound would most definitely attract attention.

I held my breath for a few seconds while Noah and Peter gaped at me. After a while, I heard no sound coming from the other side of the door and I released my breath. Slowly, I set the cage door down and smiled to myself. Miranda had underestimated my strength and I couldn't be happier. There were some benefits to being an enigma after all.

"How the hell did you do that?"

"I guess I don't know my own strength, come on we don't have time to waste. Let me try to get you guys out of there."

My legs felt numb from sitting on them for so long and then using them to break a cage but I still managed to waddle over to the guys.For the first time since I woke up in that cage, I had a little hope that we could get out of here. It seemed to show on Noah and Peter's faces as I approached them. Gripping the padlock at the top of their cage, I pulled as hard as I could. It Sprung loose from its confinement with a solid crack and I mentally did a happy dance.