Chapter 24 - Confessions

The project suffered a major setback this week with all the tests dying

The project suffered a major setback this week with all the tests dying. Their bodies rejected the serum and all progress made was lost. This seemed to infuriate Miranda, she believes someone has sabotaged the experiment and although there is no evidence, I believe that to be the case. We are in the process of reworking the serum to bind to the DNA of the rats which will hopefully give us better results. It will take some time but this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I swallowed the lump in my throat after reading the second entry. Most of it made zero sense but the dying rats part sure knocked it out of the park. It was Sunday night and I had been struggling to sleep. Of course, the journal didn't really help that matter at all. 

The snow had been falling all weekend, coating the ground in a white blanket of frost. My dreams were haunted by familiar faces, each of them adding to my lack of sleep. Most times, I woke up with tears running down my face, unable to remember the nightmare, except for the haunting faces.

It was already turning into morning and I still hadn't closed my eyes, I could feel my sanity slipping. On Saturday, I had to force myself to hunt again. With time it didn't seem to bother me as much, it was a necessity nothing more. It was either hunt or starve and usually, the starving part wasn't the worst of it. Every time the hunger set in I felt my grip on reality slip.

My eyes grew heavy and my head lolled to the side, there was no point in denying my exhaustion. I placed the book back into my bedside drawer and tried to forget about its words. Sleep came in the very next instant, but it was not peaceful.

The hallways buzzed with energy, kids talked about winter formal, prom and the end of the year

The hallways buzzed with energy, kids talked about winter formal, prom and the end of the year. It surprised me that no one seemed to care about the finals. My mind kept drifting back and forth between topics never grasping them fully. 

Yeah, the lights are on but nobody is home. 

At my locker, Leah was already waiting for me. I had a lot to think of over the weekend and I kept my distance from Noah. I wasn't avoiding him but I needed space. With that space came clarity. Figuring out Biotech's plan was in my best interest but that doesn't mean there's a cure to this.