Chapter 22 - Let your hair down

I decided to skip the traditional party wear, opting for a long-sleeved burgundy dress and black stockings

I decided to skip the traditional party wear, opting for a long-sleeved burgundy dress and black stockings. On my feet, I donned a pair of black ankle boots. Walking over to the mirror, I took a final glance at my appearance. For long these were the types of clothes I would wear. After my sudden change, I didn't see the point of trying anymore. I wanted to blend into the background.

My blond hair was spun into loose curls freely falling around my face. The dark brown eye-shadow was lightly applied to my lids and the black mascara made my blue eyes look bigger. I wasn't really one for dressing up but it was my birthday party after all. 

Mom actually agreed to this after the curfew was lifted and my school work was back on track. Although I knew the danger hadn't passed completely the rest of the town seemed to think so. 

I grabbed my black leather jacket and pushed my arms through the sleeves and pulled it over my shoulder before I made my way down the stairs. 

Outside Noah was already waiting for me and I jumped in next to him. His eyes scanned over me making me squirm in my seat. A blush crept across my cheeks and I was thankful for the shroud of darkness in the cab.  

He shook his head twice, "Let's get this over with."

I don't know why that disappointed me. It looked like he was about to say something more. Or maybe I just wanted him to say more. Getting close to Noah was a mistake, I knew that but my head and my heart were not agreeing on this matter. My head said it's better this way but my heart wanted to know. 

Stupid heart. 

The drive to Leah's house was quiet. Noah kept his eyes on the road most of the time. Every now and then he would steal a glance in my direction. I kept my head forward and pretended not to care, something I was frighteningly good at. 

When we finally made it to Leah's house the driveway was full of different cars. As Noah parked the car I heard muffled dance music coming from the colossal structure. It seemed even more imposing in the dark and I felt my stomach drop.

I jumped out of the truck and walked up to the entrance. Before I even made it to the porch Noah grabbed my hand pulling me to a stop. The soft light illuminated his features making his eyes seem brighter. For a moment, all I could do was stare until I realized that he was still holding my hand.

I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks. My heart started beating fast and my mouth ran dry. I could tell myself a million times that Noah meant nothing to me but I couldn't deny my body's reaction to him. Noah turned me into some giggling and blushing teenager and I detested it. 

"I tried saying this earlier but I couldn't really find the words," he said, searching my eyes, "So I'm just going to say it, you look beautiful tonight, Sydney"

My breath hitched and I found it hard to swallow. Noah pulled a white gift box from his pocket and handed it to me. My hands shook as I took the box from him and I had to remind myself to breathe.