Chapter 56

Ashanté was wrong about Greek letters. If Bryce hadn't been a Delta Alpha Phi like Jo's boss, it was doubtful he could've gotten her sacked.

It's too bad. She was always so good in the sack. Heh.

Knowing the industry, Jo would have a job with even higher pay and prestige before the week was out. The media sucked.

Bryce hopped in his Jeep and headed for the clinic, which sat on a wooded lot just outside the city. Over the years the sprawling mission revival style edifice had admitted some of the most famous people in the entertainment industry, including some influential unknowns like Bryce.

"Welcome to our clinic, Mr. Walker. I see from the lab work that you're fighting a heroin addiction. Our policy is to keep a patient until the narcotic and all its metabolites are eliminated from the body as determined by a blood test. As long as any residual traces remain, the patient will continue to experience cravings and withdrawal symptoms."

Thankfully those days were over, at least for him. For Ash they were just beginning. Bryce stopped en route to buy her some flowers and balloons. By the time he found her room she'd just finished breakfast in bed. An orderly took the tray and left the room as Bryce entered.

"Hey. Up to having a visitor?" he asked, peeking through the open door.

Ashanté looked up. "Bryce! Come in. I'm surprised they let you in."

"I had to agree to a search. They don't want drugs coming in."

Ashanté nodded, hugging herself. "My parents called. They're flying here to take me home. They'll arrive tomorrow."

Bryce tied the balloons to her bed and turned down the volume on the overhead TV. The channel was tuned to the entertainment news network, and footage of Vern being put into a police car flashed across the screen. Bryce sat down on the edge of the mattress. "You should probably stay here until your blood test is clean. Your doctor will recommend it."

"Yeah, but my parents may not give me a choice. They're pretty damn mad about this. Argh. Oh man, I've never been so ashamed in my life. I made a total fool of myself, and those stupid videos will be online forever! How can I show my face in public again? I just want to die."

"It'll be all right. For starters, Jo's been fired. She won't be doing this again anytime soon. Small consolation, I know."

Ashanté wrapped her arms around her knees. "What about the super festival? Do I still have to do that?"

Bryce shook his head. "Maverick tore up your contract. On the up side, he likely won't sue if you keep what's left of your advance, so you came out ahead. You'll also get any royalties from reissues in the future, after Broken Pony gets their cut."

"I don't care about the money. I just want this humiliation to end."

Bryce patted her hand. "Chalk it up to silly things we do when young. Everyone has their embarrassing moments, but this too shall pass. In a year no one will remember it, for another scandal or three will take its place. There's something more important to think about now."

"Like what?"

"Like what you want to do with your life. Do you want to go home with your parents?"

Ashanté looked away. "Not really. It'll be embarrassing to see my friends and relatives back home. I want to go somewhere where no one's ever heard of me."

Bryce chuckled, then grew serious. "I don't want you to leave. I want to go out again. You owe me a Mexican dinner, and maybe a movie and a walk around the mall. Possibly a game of minigolf."

Ashanté laughed a little. "I-I'd like that too."

A tech entered the room and indicated it was time for Bryce to leave.

"But I just got here," he said. The tech shrugged, and Bryce rose from the bed. "Okay, I'll see you later, Ash. Do you have your phone?"

"No, I didn't even have clothes when they brought me here. And they said it was a bad idea to bring devices since they might get stolen."

"Ah. Good point. Okay, I'll check back another day. Take care, and cooperate with your doctors."

"I will. Um... Bryce? Thanks for coming. And being my friend."

He smiled, and took the liberty of kissing her on the forehead. As he turned to leave, a new story broke on the TV.

"This just in. Minutes ago, Jolene Champerty sent the following tweet:

Fired cuz I wouldn't screw my boss' frat buddy Bryce Walker of #brokenponymusic #metoo #ashes #brycegate

"Her post has been retweeted more than twenty thousand times with the hashtag #metoo. We'll have more on this story after the commercial break."