Chapter 30

Stupid job.

Among other things it was turning her into a liar, but it was better to tell Mom all this started in a sushi bar rather than a gin mill.

And why did that bitch Scarlett have to show up?

Heh. What am I saying? Should've expected it. She probably lives at the damn mall. When she's not at that fricking mansion on Sorority Row, she's out shopping.

At least it was over. No, wait. It would never  end. This was her life now. Argh.

But at least I'll never have to play at another shopping mall. I hope. Omigod, I hope not.

No, there wasn't enough champagne in Texas to make her do that again.

I was never so embarrassed in all my life. Aaaarggh!

Okay, so it wasn't all  bad. The guys were nice, and a lot of fun to hang out with. They seemed as unimpressed with the music biz as she, and just wanted to earn a living and have a good time. They took rehearsals seriously, but not too  seriously, showed up on time and played their instruments like professionals.

And it was cool to see her name on posters, even if it wasn't her real name.

Ashley Stetson:   guitars; vocals

Zeke Baker:   banjo, mandolin

Josh Wood:   electric sitar

Wes Parks:   fiddle

Rusty Nale:   bass, backing vocals

Kyle Egan:    drums, backing vocals

Jesse Jones:   keyboards

Dwayne Dix:   autoharp, harmonica

The only downside, really, was the embarrassment of singing in front of people, and it didn't help when the people had little interest in country music. Like shoppers at an upscale mall.

No, from now on she'd perform only at legitimate venues, like concert halls and nightclubs; places that had an actual stage and a country-oriented clientele. She'd tell Vernon tomorrow.

Sure. He'll listen to me. Ha!

At the moment, the only unpleasantness ahead was the show at the roadhouse this weekend.

That shouldn't be so bad. They have plenty of liquor, they love country music and Scarlett would never show her face there in a million years.

Sure. No one would be there, and everything was going to be fine.

Flipping awesome.