Chapter 37

Awk. Ward.

Bryce took them to the most expensive restaurant in town, a pretentious place where the waiters refilled your glass by dramatically shooting over their shoulders from a special carafe. There were two waiters per table, and the atmosphere discouraged anything but the most superficial of conversations.

They sat in a half circle booth, with Ashanté between her parents and Bryce next to her dad. Bryce was therefore directly across from her mother, which was where the conflict seemed to lie.

"Baby, you sure you want to do this? I still say you should come home with us and go to the community college. You could become a teacher and make a good living."

"Yes, Mom. But it makes me nervous to get up in front of a class, even just a class of children. There are too many in each school room."

"Yeah, but that's not as bad as getting up in front of a hundred adults, is it? Maybe more."

Ashanté looked at Bryce for help, but he just smiled before sipping some champagne.

"Um, I'm getting used to it, Mom."

"If it's what she wants, Bev, then what's the worst that can happen? She'll make a million dollars."

"That's what worrying me. You know the stories in this business, Lamar. Drugs, sex, alcohol, Satan worship, eating bats─"

"Mom! That's not country!"

Bryce and Lamar laughed, while Ashanté sighed.

"No, your mother's right to be concerned," Bryce said. "This is a harsh industry. Most acts never earn out their advance, and all the expenses of the album are actually paid for with that. So you're paying for your own album and publicity. There's so much competition these days, but as we say at BPM, you'll never know until you try. Some acts with a ton of talent never achieve headline success, while others with less ability go platinum straight out of the gate. If I knew the formula I'd be a billionaire, but I'm happy making six figures, and Ashanté can be too."

But I'm not making six figures,  Ashanté wanted to say. I'm not making anything at all!

Her parents seemed satisfied that she was achieving some measure of success, though, so Ashanté raised her glass with the others when Bryce proposed a toast.

"Let's drink to the prettiest cowgirl this side of the Pecos. May you change the face of country western music forever."

Ashanté blushed. Really? You think I'm pretty?  They clinked their glasses together, and Ashanté floated on clouds for at least two minutes. Right up until Scarlett Pratt strolled past their table and blew Bryce a kiss.

Scarlett Pratt the twat is here?! What does she do, follow me around?

Or was she following Bryce around?

Bryce still held his champagne flute in his hand, and tipped it toward Scarlett with a grin before taking another sip. Ashanté looked from one parent to the other; they didn't seem to notice this exchange. Small wonder; Scarlett had breezed by in a matter of seconds, but it was long enough to run a spear through Ashanté's heart.

Bryce is dating Scarlett?  Waaaaaah!