Cassie x Mercenary Reader

REQUESTED BY @v1adimir1estrad

A/N: before we start this, you might need a key for this, so here you go!

Y/N: your name
Y/G: your gender
Y/HC: your hair color
Y/EC: your eye color

"Uh, is there anyone out there?"

Cassie called when she spotted a shadow slinking in the forest. It seemed to be a person, at least.

"I've never seen an animal that big before in here, that's for sure..."

Cassie muttered to herself, and then someone - or something touched her on the back.

"Ahh-!"

Cassie screamed and a hand covered her mouth. Her heart was pounding with newfound fear and nervousness.

"Be quiet!"

A voice hissed in her ear, and she nodded softly.

The hand fell, and Cassie turned around.

It was a Y/G with Y/HC and narrowed Y/EC. They had a sniper rifle in their hands.

Their eyes were full of suspicion, and they spoke in a quiet voice.

"What're you doing here,"

They looked Cassie up and down, and added with obvious distaste,

"Huntress?"

Cassie huffed and said in an annoyed voice, her fear dissolving in a second,

"What's so bad about being a hunter? Man, if Zigs was here, I'd tell him to peck your eyes out-"

"Woah, woah, let's not get too violent here.."

They said with slight fear in their voice, and Cassie let out a "mmph" of triumph.

"I guess I've been a little rude, I haven't asked your name yet."

Cassie then said, and she pointed to herself and announced happily,

"I'm Cassie! What's your name?"

"I'm Y/N."

Y/N said and then they asked curiously,

"Who's Zigs, anyways?"

"Oh, Zigs is my bird! He helps me against the Magistrate, he pecks them during battle. He's amazing, oh, here he is!"

Cassie rambled, and then pointed to the red bird approaching them. Zigs had a bunch of grapes in his beak, and he chirped happily to Cassie when he landed on her shoulder.

"Ah! Zigs brought back some fruit! You want some?"

Cassie said as she plucked some grapes from her bird's beak. She extended a hand to Y/N, who took the fruit gratefully.

"Thanks, and you're with the... Resistance, right?"

Y/N asked quietly, as they ate the sweet grapes.

"Yeah! And what about you?"

Cassie said.

"I... um, I'm with the Magistrate.."

Y/N mumbled the last part, and Cassie jumped a little, making Zigs screech angrily.

"W-What? But you're nice, you're not hostile at all!"

Cassie exclaimed and Y/N laughed softly.

"I was hired by the Magistrate to take out people from the Resistance, but..."

They looked up from their hands at Cassie,

"I don't think I want to work for them anymore."

"Oh..."

Cassie let out, and Y/N sighed, wiping their hands off on their dark pants. They picked up their weapon.

"I gotta go, uh, thanks."

"W-Wait, but I'm part of the Resistance! Wouldn't you have to.."

Cassie trailed off, feeling stupid almost immediately, and Y/N said,

"You're not someone I want to attack. You're... special, Cassie. I hope I'll see you again, someday."

They said over their shoulder, and Cassie said weakly, feeling despair rush through her,

"I- okay.. I'll see you."

A few years later

"No, I can't..!"

Cassie cried when she spotted Y/N being knocked out by Koga, the white haired male panting as he crouched over the mercenary.

"C'mon, Cassie. We have to kill Y/N to make a point with the Magistrate. They've already killed some of our people, what difference does it make if we kill one of theirs?"

Koga said, his eyes glistening with grief. The Magistrate had killed Furia a few battles before, and Cassie could tell that Koga wanted revenge.

"Listen, Cassie.."

Tyra said softly, a firm hand touching the huntress's shoulder,

"If you don't want to do it, you don't have to. I'm pretty sure Koga would like to do it, with what has happened lately..."

"No, it's okay... Furia didn't deserve to die, s-so, I'll do it for her..."

Cassie walked shakily over to the unconscious Y/N.

"I'm sorry... You said we were going to see each other again, but I never imagined it to be like this... I-I'll miss you, Y/N. You were different."

She looked away as she shot the arrow at Y/N.

Thunk.