Light Years Away

T.

«February 1st, 2014»

After Harry left—well, after I kicked him out—thirteen days ago, I’ve been an absolute wreck…but, I’m slowly starting to get over it. We’ve spoken four times, very briefly, through one or two word text messages, but that’s it. Unfortunately, this entire day has been spent sitting on the floor in my living room, while the fire slowly burned, debating whether it’d be better to wish him a happy birthday over text or a phone call. Almost all of me wished I could just be spending today with him, doing whatever he wanted, making him a cake, standing next to him when he blew out the candles…I shook my head, ridding myself of these thoughts because they weren’t doing anybody any good. I quickly decided that a text would be easier. If I heard his voice I may just break down. 

-Hey…I just wanted to say, happy birthday and I hope your wishes come true (all twenty of them) you deserve it, Harry. xo.-

I pressed send before I could change anything and let out a sigh. Almost immediately, my phone dinged, and I found myself fumbling pathetically, trying to get a glimpse at the screen, but to my dismay, it was just Maisie.

-Heeeeya girly. Having some people over in a bit and you WILL come. I’m not going to see you for 6 months so get your cute little british ass over here-

I groaned, not really wanting to go, but I realized she was right and it’d be good for me to get out. Besides, since Harry and I got together I’ve completely ditched out on my friends and since we’ve been broken up I’ve been a total recluse. So, in a sad attempt at not looking like the asshole who gives up her life for her boyfriend, I hoisted myself up and trudged off to my bedroom to try and look at least halfway presentable.

“What do they always say? The best way to get over someone…is to get under someone else!” Maisie sing-songed in my ear as she motioned over to one of her next door neighbors who had been trying to flirt with me all night. Don’t get me wrong, he was gorgeous. Dark hair with really nice dark eyebrows and a bright, yet completely goofy smile…but I found myself comparing every little bit of him to Harry. 

“I’m leaving in a day, Mais. I’m not going to get under anybody…”

“I’m not saying any freaking relationship! Just a hook up! It’d be good for you, babe!” I shook my head again, not agreeing with this logic at all. “Ugh, fine! Jesus, you’re such a party-pooper. At least have a drink? Loosen up a little bit, Tessie!” With a sigh, I accepted the drink she had quickly, and haphazardly, poured for me.

Three or four drinks and a few shots later, the room was spinning and her neighbor was getting closer and closer to me. 

“I um—I need some air.” I slurred at him and began walking out to the hallway. Unfortunately, drunk me didn’t factor in the possibility of him following me.

“We can go back to my place…” His lips met my neck and I found my hands pushing at his chest. He wasn’t a bad guy, which is why I felt kind of bad, just a little drunk and horny was all. I just wasn’t having this. I didn't want to go to bed with anyone but Harry and before I knew it, I had tears streaming down my face and what’s-his-face was stepping back, hands up in defense. Once he realized I wasn’t crying because of him, he pressed his palms into my shoulders and began rubbing them, trying to sooth me, I guess? “You okay?” I shook my head and wiped at the tears. “I didn’t do anything wrong did I? I mean, I wasn’t trying to pressure you…I just—” I cut him off and tried to smile.