Promise

H.

“Harry…please ask Tessa to forgive me?” Mrs. McMartin’s pleading question had pissed me off. She had no right to try and bring me into it. Tessa had to be able to forgive her mum on her own terms, and plus, I’d already created a big enough mess earlier. I had just gone by the house to see if I could talk to her, and Mrs. McMartin gave me the address to her Dad’s place. 

As I pulled in front of the small brick house, I saw that the lights were on and a small hatchback was parked in the driveway. I got out quickly, making my way up to the front door, which was almost hidden inside a nice-looking courtyard. I knocked four times, then five, but got no answer. Finally, after the sixth or seventh knock, Will appeared behind the door, his eyes looking droopy and red. I managed to fight the chuckle that threatened to break, and instead, cleared my throat.

“How are ya, mate?” 

“Hey, hey…how’s it going, Harry?” 

“It’s uh—it’s going…is Tessa here?” He looked a bit confused, probably from the amount of weed he’s smoked.

“Yeah, she’s here. We’ve got food too…but we’ve eaten most of it so—yeah. Sorry.” This time I let myself laugh as I followed him into the house. I heard Tessa and a man’s laughter grow closer and closer, and finally as we walked into what looked like the dining room, I caught sight of her and her father. Both of their eyes were bloodshot and I found myself slightly angry, I wasn’t aware she had smoked.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, wiping the happy tears from her eyes.

“I uh—how are you, Mr. McMartin?”

“I’m well, Harry…how are you?”

“I’m good, thanks. Could I uh—could I borrow Tessa for a moment?”

“Of course, if it’s alright with her.” I glanced over at her and she smiled, looking relieved. I walked into the hallway with her directly behind me.

“I’m sorry—” I began, but was quickly cut off by her hands gripping the sides of my sweater.

“No, no…I’m sorry. I flipped out on you and I had no right to…you were trying to help and I didn’t want to hear anyone’s opinion but mine, but I do want to hear your opinion—I always want to hear your opinion, because I love you….yeah. I love you and I’m sorry…” Her high was clearly affecting her sentence structure and the rate she was going at, but the fact that she’d just come out and said that she loves me, made my heart race and my head began to spin.

“Are you…are you just saying that because you’re high…?” I questioned, too scared to believe it.

“I am high…but no. I do love you, Harry. I’m absolutely, completely in love with you.” My silence seemed to make her question me and I had to shake myself out of the trance I’d been so quickly put in. “Do you…um—can you say it to me?” I found myself grinning fully as I pulled her face up to meet mine.

“I am so madly in love with you, Tess—so utterly, unfathomably in love with you.” I murmured against her slightly chapped, but ridiculously delicious lips.

“I’m sorry I was a bitch…” She said, pulling away slightly. I shook my head and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, before placing a delicate kiss on her nose.

“You weren’t a bitch, baby. I’m sorry for trying to give you shit advice.” Her Mum’s words played over in my head and I groaned, debating whether I should tell her or not. I decided not to, just because she was already so angry with her, and if I told her this she’d just get even more mad.

“I love you…” She cooed again and I swear, I’ll never get used to hearing those words.

“I love you.” I whispered back and just as I went to kiss her, Will’s lanky body stepped in, making us both sigh in defeat.

“Stop making out and come play Life with us.” Despite the fact that the three of them were all clearly high, I had no desire to spend my night any other way. 

“Just stay here with me tonight…” Her lips were close to my ear as she tried to get me to stay, and god, was it difficult to decline, but I had to. My Mum had already informed me that we’d be heading up to Manchester early in the morning to visit her side of the family, the Selley’s. 

“I wish I could, baby…”

“But you can! We can just hide away in the sheets forever and never come out…” I chuckled at this suggestion.

“Tempting…but my Mum will kill me if I don’t get home soon…”

“Oh alright…” She groaned, finally giving in. 

“I love you so much, Tess…”

“I love you too…and I’ll miss you…” She placed a shy kiss on my lips.

“I’ll probably see you tomorrow night, and if not then, definitely on Christmas Eve morning.”

“Well, drive safe. Text me when you get home, yeah?” 

“I will, baby…sleep well.”

“Goodnight, Harry Styles.” I planted a deep kiss on her lips before pulling away and heading to my car. 

“Goodnight, Tessa McMartin, I love you more than you’ll ever know.”