Take A Walk

T.

«Three Weeks Later—December 22nd, 2013»

After the night at the manager’s party, Harry and I were inseparable for a whole week and a half. We spent almost every waking moment together, snuggled up in my flat, when I wasn’t working, of course. He had to leave to go back to England early though, so I’d spent the past ten days missing him, and getting ready to go home for Christmas. Will had picked me up from the airport and filled me in on the whole Mum and Dad situation, which happened to be utterly frustrating. They weren’t on speaking terms, apparently? Something told me that Will knew more than he let on, but I’d let it go for now. My mind was already buzzing about the fact that I get to see Harry today. Ten days was far too long and I had already found myself going through withdrawals. 

“So are you going with me to Dad’s tonight?” Will asked, appearing in my doorway. That just sounded so odd, I started to hesitate before nodding.

“Um…yeah. What time are you going to go?”

“Probably sevenish?” It came out as more of a question and I just shrugged. 

“Yeah, that works. I’m gonna see Harry in a bit though, so I might just meet you there.”

“God, Tessa…can’t we just go together? Didn’t you just see him like a week ago?”

“Ten days. But jesus, if it’s that big of a deal I’ll go with you.”

“Great, thanks.” His tone was sarcastic and I rolled my eyes.

“So do you wanna tell me what’s really going on with them?” He groaned and came fully into my room, falling onto the bed. 

“I already told you.”

“Do you honestly think I was born yesterday? I’m not a damn idiot, Will, I know there’s something you’re hiding from me.” He groaned loudly and dramatically before sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

“Fuuuck. You’re gonna flip, Tessa.”

“Just fucking tell me, Will!” He stared blankly at me and finally spoke, and when I heard the truth, I felt like I’d been punched in the gut.

H.

The knock on the door caused me to jump almost completely out of the kitchen barstool I’d been sitting on and my Mum and Gemma tried to stifle their giggles. 

“Try not to scare her away, dork.” My sister snorted before spooning a large chunk of cookie dough into her mouth. Instead of replying, I flipped her off playfully and headed towards the front door. The last ten days had been absolute torture without Tessa. I wanted to pull my hair out. But I finally get to see her and we’d be able to spend a few weeks relaxing here, together. That was the word that kept playing over and over again in my mind. Together. I opened the door quickly and barely had time to look at her before her legs were wrapped tightly around my waist and her face was buried into my neck.

“Hi baby…” I murmured against her dark brown hair, that always smelled so fucking delicious.

“Ten days is too long.” She whined before pulling away so I could finally kiss her. It wasn’t more than a deep, chaste kiss, but it was still undeniably satisfying.

“Way too fucking long, let’s not do that again.” I said into her mouth.

“Never.” She pulled her lips away and brushed her nose gently against mine, and I was able to get a good look at her face. 

“Glad we’re on the same page here.” She let her legs unravel from my body and I slowly let her down.

“C’mon, we’re making cookies.” I pulled her with me towards the kitchen and as soon as we stepped in, Mum and Gemma bombarded her with unnecessary love. When they were finished, I picked up a chunk of cookie dough and popped it into her mouth, which she gladly accepted.

“So, Tessa, dear…is it nice to be back with your family? How is everyone?” My Mum questioned her and I noticed a different expression sweep the entirety of her features, which made me nervous.

“Oh, funny you should ask. My Mum had an affair on my Dad and now they’re completely separated. Apparently their Christmas gifts to one another will be signed divorce documents.” The room went eerily silent and I reached for her hand.

“Tess…come here. Mum, Gem…we’ll be right back.” I called to the two stunned women. As soon as Tessa and I got into the living room, my hands cupped her cheeks and I studied her face.

“What the hell happened? How and when did you find out?”

“Will told me. I guess it had been ongoing and when my Dad found out he freaked—which is completely understandable because how the fuck do you cheat on someone after almost twenty-seven years and not even blink a fucking eye? Turns out, she’s a cold-hearted fucking bitch and—” Her eyes began to flood with tears so instead of allowing her to finish, I pulled her against me, holding her tightly in place as her body began to heave. I could practically feel the hatred she held for her Mum seeping out of each sob that racked through her small body.

“Have you seen your Dad?” I asked, once she’d calmed down and the tears subsided.

“No, Will and I are going over to his place tonight. But I think I’m going to stay there, I just can’t bear the thought of being under the same roof as her.”

“Maybe you should talk to her about this. I know you’re angry, but she might need her daughter…” Her glare told me she didn’t like my idea at all. “Baby, all I’m saying, is that she’s still your mum and she loves you—”

“I’m gonna go.” Venom was clear in those three words and I knew I’d said all the wrong things.

“Tess, wait! I just want you to think about this—”

“Like she thought about fucking someone else again and again?!?! Yeah, no thanks, Harry.” She turned quickly, gathering her things and heading towards the front door.

“Tessa! Jesus Christ! Just—hey, don’t go!” I tried to grab at her but she closed the front door before I could. I pounded my fist against the wood before getting ready to open it and go after her, when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Let her cool off, dear. This all must be so overwhelming for her, poor thing…” My mum loved Tessa so I knew she wasn’t angry at her behavior. I think in a way, she understood how much pain she was going through. “Give her some time, love.” I felt her press a soft kiss to my cheek and then I was alone, once again.