009

In Rosie's Point of View.
19th October 1958.
-

We arrive outside a small cafe, and John turns to me.

"Fancy some breakfast then, love?"
I nod and we walk in, the doorbell dinging as we do so. He guides me to a table in the far corner, by the window, and we sit opposite one another.

A waitress walks over, giving us both a menu each and greeting us with a 'good morning' to which I return with a smile. We sit in silence as we look through the menu. I decide on eggs on toast as well as coffee, then look to John to see him squinting at the menu. I chuckle to myself.

"Alright there, John?"

He looks up at me, his cheeks tinted red. "I forgot me fuckin' glasses. Can't see a damn thing without 'em."

Slightly surprised that he wears glasses, I dig around in my coat pocket - searching for my own and offering them to him.

"I don't know if they'll help at all, but you're welcome to try them?"

"Better than nothing, thanks love."
Putting them on, he squints at the menu, apparently being able to just about make out the words now. I catch myself staring at him as he's searching through the menu with his eyes.

His hair is gelled back at the sides and pulled forward at the front in a teddy boy style, he's wearing a black coat - dressed in a teddy boy fashion.

John is by far the most attractive teddy boy that I've seen, that's for sure.

"Rosie, love?"

I'm snapped out of my thoughts and I look at John, who smirks and then gestures to the waitress standing beside me. I flush red because I was caught staring and slowly looking up to the waitress, reciting my order.

Once she walks away, I turn my attention back to John, no doubt that I'm rather red by now.

"Staring at me, were ye?"

The answer to his question is really quite obvious, so I just keep quiet and look down at the table, only flushing an even deeper red. He chuckles and leans back in his chair, taking his glasses off and sliding them across the table back to me.

"Y'know love, I don't normally do the whole 'getting to know ye' shit, but something about ye makes me want to." He stares at me while talking, a slight smirk on his face.

I look up at him, slightly in disbelief but a small smile grows on my face all the same, now curious. "Why?"

He shrugs in response.

"As I've said plenty of times, yer an interesting bird. And yer accent is cute. And I can make ye blush so easily; it's just cute."

His words make a blush spread across my whole face and just as I'm about to answer, the waitress comes and places our food on the table in front of us. I smile gratefully at her and take a sip of my coffee before digging into my food, John doing the same.

We sit in comfortable silence as we eat our breakfast, John making the occasional hum of approval. After a short while of this, I finish my breakfast just about the same time as John does.

"This day next week will be two years since Paul lost 'is mum. The boys and I, and the birds, are having a little get together at mine to take his mind off it if ye wanted to come with?" He doesn't take his eyes off of me as he speaks.

"Sure thing." I smile and finish off my coffee.

"For now though, want to take a walk down to the beach?" he sends a cheeky smile my way as he stands up. I nod and stand up as well, fishing about in my pocket for some change but he stops me

"I've got it, love." and with that, he slams down some money on the table and sends me a wink.

-

John and I spend the rest of the day together, talking and laughing - the occasional affectionate touch of a hand here and there.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a thing for him; it just keeps developing the more time that I spend by his side.

~
Hello, loves!
Thank you for 200 reads!
Please let me know if this story is any good? I'm enjoying writing it but I don't know if anyone likes reading it! Thanks in advance.

-r.l