007

21st August 1958.
Rosie's Point of View.
-

Last night, John kissed me on the cheek as he said goodbye, insisting that we meet up at some point in the following days. But just now, as I'm sitting on the sofa in my living room, I realise that we never exchanged any contact details. He knows where I live, though, so I'll have to go off the assumption that he'll come knocking if he wants to meet up with me.

I feel the sofa sink down next to me and I turn to see my mother.

"What time did you get in last night then, dear?"

"Honestly? I can't remember." I shrug.
She nods, humming quietly.

That was only a small lie; all I know is that it was after 2 am, but my mother certainly does not need to know that.

"Did you see that young lad again?"

God, when will she stop with the questions?

"Maybe." I feel my cheeks heat up as I reply, making the answer to her question really quite obvious.

She grins, tapping her fag out in the ashtray.

"What's his name then?"

I sigh, knowing this is going to be a long conversation.

"His name is John," I mumble quietly.

"John..?" She asks, clearly looking for the last name.

"Lennon. He's in a band; that's where I was last night." A slightly disgruntled look comes across his face at the mention of him being in a band, but she nods and smiles, putting her hand on my knee.

"Well, honey, that's wonderful. Have you made any other friends yet?"

I nod, trying to recall all of the names; it has only been two days after all.

"Yeah.. there's Paul, Pete, George, Dot and..." I pause, trying to think of the names of the girls I was talking to at the bar. "Elle, Liliana and Sophie."

She nods, smiling.

"Well, be sure to invite them around here at any point if you want!"

And with that, she's up and off to the kitchen; clattering about and making something or other.

"You know honey, Trevor and I were thinking that you should really try and look for a job. You know.. try and earn your keep as you're going to be 18 in three months." She shouts from the kitchen.

In response, I mutter something about going to look around later; there's got to be something available somewhere.