4. The Roka.

Vote goal: 1.7k
Comments: 450

I return back to the living room, after taking a couple of minutes to soak in what really happened in the past fifteen minutes

I return back to the living room, after taking a couple of minutes to soak in what really happened in the past fifteen minutes. She said yes. Fuck. She said yes. The giddiness flows through my veins, my heart beating faster today. I go to sit but my mother pinches my shirt and takes me aside. Mukti and Alya joins us. My mother looks at me first. "Ring. Jewlery set. Some more heavy gifts-- watch, handbag or something." Mumma then turns to the girls. "Eleven outfits heavy and normal. Red Chunri for the roka. Sweets and fruits. Makeup stuff. You have two hours, chop chop." She snaps her finger. The woman snaps her fingers, as if ordering us wasn't enough.

"Aap tyaari karke kyu nahi aaye?" I swipe my eyes around, making sure no one hears us.

"Umeed nahi thi tujh nalayak ko haan kar degi wo." Mukti and Alya snicker at her reply. I narrow my eyes at the woman, I call mother. Ye jitna mujhe insult karti hain, utna toh Cabir bhi nahi karta!

I meet her eyes over my mother's head to see her listening to whatever her mother is saying. Her brother by her side doing the same. She averts her gaze back to her mother nodding in positive.  Then both the siblings turn around and leaves along with the other girl who's had Cabir's attention since we came here.

"Quick!" My mother pinches the back of my hand making me hiss, I rub the spot. "Main police bula lunga." I mutter under my breath. "Bula le. Shaadi nahi karni hai na, toh bula le." She crosses her arms on her chest and smirks at me. I stomp my foot walking past her. No wonder I am so mean, I got it from my Mumma.

"Manik, unbutton the first few buttons, not looking good." Dhruv shakes his head behind me in the mirror, I do as he says. I wasn't going to get Roka-fied in wrinkled office clothes, so when I was out getting gifts for her, I managed to get myself an outfit. Currently, we were in Murthy's guest room changing while our parents discussed the Kundali's and date of the marriage accordingly. Nandini's family being south Indian believes into these things a lot and so does my mother, so they were doing their thing.

"Manik. did you ask for her number?" Cabir asks munching on something the house help brought, some minutes ago. I look at him disgusted. He had breakfast, then I'm sure he had something before lunch. Then lunch. Then we came here, and he had snacks in the living room and now this and it's just 7pm. The dinner is impending. "Cabirrr, how much will you eat yaar? Where does the fucking food go?" I groan, he shrugs continuing eating. I shake my head and go back to setting my hairs.

"You tell me, did you ask for her number?" He questions. Again. "No, I haven't. If you stopped eating for a second, you would notice after she said yes, we haven't had a single minute to ourselves." I say clipping my wristwatch and then sitting on the bed's edge to wear shoes.

"Whenever you ask her, also get Navya's number." He gulps down the water. Dhruv and I instantly stop doing whatever we were doing and look at him. Like really look at him. He even knows her name? Cute.