Chapter 18 Pt.2

Soon Greg came into the barn and after getting over the initial shock, Peridot and Steven made their way to the man.

"What's going on?" Greg asked frantically.

"I–I don't know, I was helping Malley but then she started screaming..." Steven explained in a startled voice. "Then Lapis..."

"Lapis is here," Peridot added.

Lapis, meanwhile, was preoccupied with her crying gem daughter. Malley's cheeks were wet with tears, her eyes were glowing pure white and she struggled within Lapis' hold. But the elder water gem wouldn't loosen her hold, she read about this from one of the books, and just continued to hug Malley closer.

"Malley, shh." Lapis hushed softly. "Shh. It's okay, Malley. Shhh."

Lapis then used one hand to stroke Malley's hair and this seemed to work in her favor because the younger gem suddenly started to quiet down and she grew still but not relaxed.

"Lapis," Steven whispered. Lapis turned her head and looked at him. "You're doing great. Try talking to her now."

"Now?" Lapis asked.

Steven nodded and gave her a thumbs up.

Uncle Andy came into the barn, "What's goin' on in he–ere?" he asked. When he saw the state of the barn, Andy almost screamed until Greg and Steven hushed him as politely as possible and Greg walked him out while Steven stayed and observed with Peridot. The green gem typed away on her tablet.

Lapis looked back down at the malachite in her hold. She looked so small, so scared and maybe even tired, Malley's eyes glowed dimly now and were only half open as her breathing calmed. Lapis regretted her negative thoughts before and she felt the same tug in her chest when saw Malley sleeping on the couch long ago. Lapis was starting to think it was... compassion she was feeling then and now. Lapis took in a breath and said. "Malley..."

Malley blinked a few times until the light faded and her light green eyes returned. At first, she was confused but then she saw the blue arms and Lapis' face. She silently looked up at Lapis, yet didn't try to free herself from the blue gem.

Lapis' tired yet concerned expression didn't change as she continued. "Are you okay?" she asked. Her daughter nodded quietly. "What made you scream?" Lapis asked.

"I'm not sure... it was loud and white," Malley answered.

'Ok,' Lapis thought. 'Now just tell her how you feel. You can do this.' She was about to open her mouth to speak but was interrupted when Malley finally pushed herself away.

"Can I ask you something?" Malley asked when scooted away far enough.

Even though she was confused and conflicted, Lapis nodded. "Sure." She answered.

"Why–... Why did you look at me earlier?"

"What do you mean?"

"When I was playing with Amethyst, you looked like... like you didn't like it."

"I..." Lapis thought for a moment before answering properly. "It wasn't that. It's– It was just weird. I don't think I've ever heard you laugh before. It sounded familiar but new all at once."

Malley blinked twice not sure how to take it but she did say. "Thanks."

"But I guess I scared you, right?"

"Well, I..." Malley stammered. "I was worried."

"Malley I wanted to say... I'm sorry."

The malachite gem looked up in surprise but said nothing.

Malley Kiteजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें