"It's nice to see you, how have you been? How's your Mom and your brother?"

My hand was clasped by both her hands. The jewelries in her hands rattled with each move. It was a bit awkward.

"Mom's fine. Marshall's doing great with school."

She complimented my look afterwards and then Mr. Golden was the one who approached me next with his serious demeanor. I was anxious but I did try my best to keep my cool.

Sound of footsteps were heard through the main door, I glanced at the direction and saw  Dewn and Daniel holding hands together, parading around to meet everyone. The nervousness screaming inside me turned into something. I couldn't describe it but something about Dewn being with Daniel didn't sit quiet right to me.

Even when we were kids, knowing how Dewn always had a small crush on him felt foreign to me.

Maybe, I just wanted my semi bestfriend to be with someone who could treat her better... Someone like. . . Ehm... Gaaah! I don't know.

When it was time for lunch, I quickly flocked myself beside Chase since Izzy wasn't present to hold my hand if I would ever turn into a nervous wreck. We were seated at a long table. It was so long, I had to stretch my neck to see who was talking. I sat between Chase and Arriane. Dewn, Daniel and Fala were acrossed from us. While Etha, Reeds and the rest of their cousins filled the other seats. The adults were on our left side.

The room smelled heavenly and when a group of cook flooded the area to place our food at the table, my mouth started watering. Etha caught me gaping and copied my expression. The girls and Chase had to surpressed their giggles after I  teased and mocked Etha's terrified expression back at the Cambridge building.

The were so much food wafting in the air at once. We were quiet for a while because the Golden siblings which were Dewn's Father  and his siblings were talking about business stuff. No one dared to try and touch their food yet so I had to torture myself not to poke anything. The topic of their talk suddenly drifted to Reeds.

They seemed to envy the older Golden daughter.

"Reeds here is planning to start a charity campaign after graduating college while also trying to help with the business." her Mom  bragged.

"I am expecting a lot from her," a woman said, probably one of her aunts.

Reeds' Dad chuckled, "You should because she's going to make us even more proud. My daughter has a lot of plans. Right?"

They all turned to Reeds' direction.

"Yeah and I'm also planning to help grandpa's business in the near future." she said casually.

"Talking about me?" an old man wearing a formal suit appeared at the door.

"Father!" Dewn's Dad greeted.

The old man took the main seat and was thundered with greetings from everyone. Even Dewn stood up to bow down to her grandpa. He had a stern eyes and a sharp pointy face. Plus his beard was as white as the color of the snow.

"Sorry I was late,"

"No worries Father, it's our pleasure to have you here." Dewn's Mom said.

Everyone started to mind their food, I did the same but it was hard not to noticed how Daniel kept whispering something into Dewn's ears and Dewn smiling from time to time.

So I just tried my best to lend my ears to their grandpa who was bragging about their family business again. Their grandpa was surprisingly cheerful. He even blasted a joke that made everyone laugh, I liked that their grandpa was being nice and happy the whole time. I also learned that his second wife had died years ago on a plane crash in Philippines.

I was too preoccupied at Dewn and Daniel being so busy with each other that I didn't notice Chase draping an arm around me. The couple seemed to be so smitten with each other. I could see that Dewn was genuinely happy being with him.

It was a desert type of food time when their grandpa started scrutinizing our group. His round glasses hang low in his eyes.

"Summer? Where's my Samy?" he called.

"Outside trying to runaway from you, am I not obvious?" Dewn sarcastically said that even Daniel dropped his flirty ways to act stern at the sudden release of his girlfriend's words

Everyone had turned quiet.

"Are you enjoying your vacation here?" he asked again.

"Yes, much better than when I was with you in New York."

Her father scowled, "Summer Dewn Golden! You do not talk to your parents like that,"

"Calm down, Ralph. Your daughter's just a bit of a joker." their grandpa defended.

What was happening? Why was she acting so rude towards her grandfather?

Her grandfather coughed, "So Daniel's parents are planning the wedding?"

Dewn's Dad leaned back from his chair, "Yes father, they went to ask for Summer--"

Dewn rose from her chair,

"I AM NOT GOING TO MARRY DANIEL! AND YOU ALL FUCKING KNOW THAT!"

"Watch your mouth! You don't have the right to disrespect your parents!" her Mom shouted, pointing a finger at Dewn.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I am not marrying Daniel! You can easily throw me out anywhere you like but not pair me up with people!"

"But Daniel is not just other people! He's been your boyfriend for years!" her Mom rasped.

"I don't understand why you don't wanna marry your boyfriend!?" their Dad asked, bafflement was all over his tone.

Dewn's eyes were almost popping out of its socket. I had never seen her in rage and in pain. Eventhough I knew she was hard to deal with it was still visible that she was hurt. Her eyes were watery.

"Because! You don't get to decide to whom I will marry and You do not control my life so back off!"

She started bolting out the door and before I even get to decide where I was going to position myself, I started following her direction not caring to look back who was more shock, me or them.

I found her whimpering in the hallway, there was a pinch in my heart when I saw the sight of her condition. This was her being vulnerable and I wanted to let her know that she has a friend in me.

"Dewn?" I attempted to touch her but she recoiled. "Do you want to get out of here for a while?"

I started stepping an inch closer but she backed away, she shook her head vigorously.

I couldn't give up just yet, she had done a lot of things to make me happy back then, I wanna do the same thing to her now.

I held her on the arm, "Come on, Dewn. Let's go to my house. Marshall will surely be hap--"

She shoved me, I had to leaned on the wall for support and then she glared. And it wasn't just a glare, it was full of despise.

Her eyes were red, "Do not touch me! You're just a child whom I once knew."

I stood, frozen on the green carpet. Her words penetrated me more than anything.

Daniel suddenly came and went to wrapped his arms around Dewn. I only saw a glimpse of Daniel kissing Dewn on her forehead and then I turned my back to them and started marching back to the Goldens but not before feeling the heaviness in my heart.

The heaviness of my heart that was crying for Dewn. Crying for her comfort right now eventhough she was the one who had caused this pain.

Vote. Comment. Follow. Share.