12

Chase was furious that night, I had to calm him down. He kept protesting about the 'stupid game'. Reeds would've been glad to give it to Chase but Dewn was of another story, she would never agree. Especially, if it was Chase we were talking about in the first place. They also couldn't give it to Chase because there was a CCTV camera inside and it showed the result that both Chase and Dewn got the flag at the same time.

So the winner was Chase and Me, and Dewn. Etha was disqualified since she flew outside and almost got her leg broken from falling down the stairs after missing five steps down.

As a result, the date could still happen except that there was a twist to it. Dewn was going to be our third wheel and I could already imagine the horror that would come. I could feel that Chase wanted to just drop it off so bad but he wanted the both of us to hang out even though Dewn was going to be our company.

It was afternoon when I couldn't pull myself away from the mirror. I put a light make up on, a cute yellow dress and just borrowed a nice purse from Mom. I was never the one ponder on what should be the perfect selection of clothing for a particular event. But I felt like I need to at least try.

"You should totally invite Chase to have dinner with us some time." Mom suggested, she was seated on the couch, reading a magazine.

"He's a friend."

Mom adjusted her glasses, she was getting older day by day. It kind of hurt that she used to be beautiful during her younger years, she still was but the young version of her was a living fairy. "I want him to be something more to you." she declared.

I gaze at her reflection in the mirror, "Why?"  Mom always had a hobby of pairing me with cute rich boys.

"Because, I have never ever seen you go out with a boy. You're always trying be invisible in everyone's line of sight." she flipped the next page of the magazine, "I want my daughter to have fun in life too. Be a teenager Cleandra."

I stooped low to tie my converse, it matched the color of my dress. "I have you and Marshall, that's all that's ever going to be for me."

Chase was waiting for me outside the warm afternoon of Forest Dream, he waved his hand in the air as soon as he spotted me. He looked so handsome with all that vintage jeans with a green Lacoste polo. He complimented my look and I told him he looked straight out of a classic teen flick. I was so happy that he noticed that I dressed up for this date. The girls booked us in this expensive dining somewhere south of  Forest Dream which was basically the only go to restaurant of every rich people inside our town.

The place was called The Wavering Halt, I didn't know who came up with that name but whoever did definitely wasn't a clever man. Fala found it ridiculous that Chase was pretty ecstatic about this day since it wasn't really a date because someone would be joining us.

Chase and I rode his car-which was given to him by his Dad on his birthday last year-to go straight to The Wavering Halt. Dewn said she was going to be there without us, I imagined Dewn sitting alone inside the place, itching to see us. I imagined her with all her glory--pretty, ravishing and. . .

The thought of her hugging me from the back flashed in my head again, our bodies were inches closer than ever before. It felt so different, it gave me that serenity that I was trying to find for a long time now. I couldn't admit it but I was so happy that she did that small gesture, because she took the damn weight that dominated my insides. She destroyed a song that was important to me and she apologized and made up for it.

But there was something more to that, to this thing that I was feeling, it wasn't only because she apologized, but she hugged me from behind and it was the only time I ever truly felt like I was prowling toward her vulnerability side. It seemed like she let me see through the facade that she was putting on and I was elated. But I wanted more...  Eventhough, she was a stubborn woman now, I still wished we could have a decent conversation. Just the two of us.