Chapter 18

School dragged on for what seemed like an eternity. Every class I went to, I almost fell asleep. I guess I haven't been getting much sleep lately, from all of the nightmares. Er, more like memories. It's weird, I haven't gotten the nightmares since the month it happened. And now, ever since Luke found out, they're back. Some nights, I just don't want to even go to sleep. So I just stay up, writing in my journal and reading and shit like that. I always feel bad that Luke sleeps on the couch. But no matter how much I try, he refuses to give me the couch. I just feel like I screw everything up. I make it all worse.

"Paige? You're drooling." I heard a giggling voice say from behind me. We were in the last class of the day- English. And I was so done with school. I wiped off the slobber that was dripping from my mouth and turned around to slap Calum's arm.

"Shut up, fuckface." I said, yawning. The bell rang a moment later, as everyone rushed out of the classroom. Calum and I took our time. When we got outside, we walked to Calum's car and put our bags in the trunk. I felt a large hand on my shoulder as I turned around.

"Calum st-" my eyes widened at the sight of my father, grabbing my shoulder.

"You okay Paige? Wha-" Calum looked over to me and froze when he saw him.

"D-don't touch her." He said, cautiously stepping next to me. My father smirked, letting out a large burp that smelled like alcohol and hamburgers.

"Dad, w-what are you doing here?" I stuttered, straightening my posture.

"Paige I l-looove yoou" he slurred, swaying in place. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever you say, dad. Now I gotta go." I said, motioning to the car. "Be safe okay?" I asked, opening my car door and stepping in. I gave Calum a hurried look as he stepped into the drivers side and drove off. I looked out the window at my dad. He was just standing there, watching us like a hawk.

"You okay?" Calum asked, glancing over at me.

"Yeah I'm fine." I breathed out, turning around to face forward. We drove to Luke's house, since the band was coming over to practice. And I practically live there, so. When we arrived, Luke was sitting on the porch step with his head in his hands. I walked up to him and sat down beside him.

"Luke? You okay?" I asked, trying to catch his eyes.

"What? Oh shit you scared me, paige." He let out a laugh and stood up.

"I just got locked out of the house, that's all." He said. I have him a questioning look and stood up, jiggling the handle.

"Cal, Luke got locked out." I said, as Calum came up beside us.

"Oh, you wanna try the back door?" He asked? Luke agreed and lead him to the back door. I was sitting on the porch step, waiting for the boys to return, when I heard a car engine next to me. I looked over and saw an old, black parked car next to me. The engine stopped and the man stepped out, slowly making his was over to where I was.

"Paaaiigee is that youuu?" He slurred.

Shit.

"Dad? H-how did you find me?" I asked, cautiously standing up.

"I followwweedd youu" he said. He was now just about two feet away from me and he looked awful. His hair was standing up everywhere, and there were bruises all over his arms.

"What happened to you?" I asked, taking a step back.

"Why'd you leeave?" He asked, inching closer. My breathing hitched as he touched my face.

"Please get off of me, dad. I-" a sharp pain stung my cheek immediately as I stumbled back.

"Ow, dad please stop it." I said, shaking. I took another step back.

"YOU LEFT ME" he yelled, spitting on my face.

"I-I" I stammered.

"NO! YOU LEFT ME!" Another pain shot through my face as I landed on the ground with a thud.

"D-dad please-"

"You fucking whore." He spat, kicking his foot into my gut. I let out a whimper in pain.

"I hate you so much." I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?" He asked, grabbing me by the collar and pushing me against the house. His hands moved down from my collar and to my chest. His face was extremely close, and I could feel his lips just millimeters away from mine. His hands moved down to my waist as he grinded his body against me. My breathing hitched as he let out a small groan.

I was frozen.

What would he do?

Without thinking, I slapped him across the face, causing him to stumble back. His fist winded back but it was stopped by a skinny figure tackling him to the ground. I let out a sigh of relief as I slid to the ground.

"Fucking prick." The voice muttered, punching my dad in the face over and over again. I widened my eyes and stood up.

"Luke g-get off of him. P-please don't get hurt." My dad took Luke by the neck and shoved him against the house right next to me.

"So you're the boy that whores around with my daughter eh?" My dad asked, squinting his eyes. Luke turned his head to look at me. Our faces were just centimeters apart. His eyes showed sympathy. And most of all, anger. Pure anger.

"No sir." He said confidently, "I'm just protecting her."

"From what?" My dad asked.

"You." And that gained Luke another punch to the face. Over and over again. There was blood everywhere.

"DAD PLEASE STOP IT!" I cried out, trying to push him off of Luke. I went from behind him and kicked right between his legs. He collapsed in pain. As soon as my dad collapsed, Luke dropped to the floor.

"Luke" I breathed out, running my fingers through his hair. I looked back, as my dad stammered up from the ground. I took a deep breath and stood up.

"Dad, mom just called. She wants you home." My fathers eyes widened as he ran into his car and took off.

"What an idiot". I muttered. I turned back around to see Luke still on the ground. He was using his hands to push himself up but it seemed he was too weak. I draped his arm over my shoulder and pulled him up, dragging him through the back door and inside

"CALUM GET ME SOME PAPER TOWELS" I yelled.

"Why?"

"JUST FUCKING DO IT." I heard him mutter curse words under his breath as I sat Luke down in a chair.

"Luke?" He coughed up a small pile if blood into his hand and groaned.

"Paige.." He muttered. "A-are you o-okay? Did he- did he do it?" Calum came over with the paper towels and gasped.

"I'm okay, Luke. Don't worry about me. Calum, wet the paper towels for me please." I said, examining Luke's injuries. Luke raised his hand and placed it on my cheek.

"Don't worry, I'm okay." I said once again, reassuring him. Calum returned with the paper towels, as Luke nodded. I took the next ten minutes cleaning Luke up and putting ice on his bruises.

"You look like you were just in a boxing match." I said when I was done. He smiled.

"I was." He said, still smiling. I let out a small laugh and sat down beside him.

"Thank you. For all of that. I'm sorry." I muttered, placing my head in my hands. He placed his hands on my back and stroked it softly.

"Shit, Paige. He was up against you. I thought. I thought I'd be tackling a naked body. You have no idea how worried I was. I-i. He didn't right? You promise?." He asked

"No, you actually saved me. If it weren't for you, I'd look just like you. I'm okay, I promise."

"You're lucky I love you." He said.

"I could say the same to you, Hemmings."