Chapter 29: Desensitized

"Quick! Bring her in!"

"Take her to the ICU immediately!"

"I'm afraid we're losing her, sir!"

His bottom lip clenched tightly under his teeth, tears streaming down his pale cheeks, the 11 year old boy cried for his mother, foreign to the absence of the usual answer. A man sat beside him, staring numbly into space, eyes unblinking.

The boy turned to his stone cold father and shook his knees, asking if his mother was going to be alright. Not receiving an answer, he slapped, punched and kicked the middle aged man, screaming for assurance.

After minutes of flailing, he dejectedly slumped down beside him and let his sobs gradually fade into the depressing environment that forced itself on him, crushing him under the unbearable weight of the shouts and wails echoing around the pressing walls.

A girl burst in through the doors with quivering legs and tears rolling down onto her soaked shirt. This once, however, for the first time, his heart didn't skip a beat with her presence. His heart didn't ache for of her glistening cheeks. He couldn't feel anything.

She grabbed his hands, shook them, asked for her mother, and he was unable to respond. Now, he understood the man beside him.

He didn't have enough time to think before she was called by the person who's name she was shouting over and over again. For the first time, he didn't want to meet her eyes.

Her absence was soon greeted with the presence of a doctor, and the man beside him sprang up to his feet, groping the former desperately.

"Is she okay? Please tell me you saved her, please."

The doctor averted his eyes from the trembling man, and cleared his throat, apology and helplessness oozing from his gaze.

"I'm deeply sorry for your loss, sir. We couldn't save your wife."

The father and the son didn't dare to hear the rest of the words, for their ears had already gone deaf on the first few.

On that day, 7 years ago, Mark Tuan collapsed onto the floor, the plug unclogged and all his life draining out of him in that strike of a moment.

His worlds collapsed.

Both of them.