Chapter 5: Extrication

"Treat a woman like you would want your daughter to be treated" ~Imam Ali

I realized that we were in the cafeteria when this all happened. The whole cafeteria was eerily silent, and I could have easily heard a pin drop. Looking around, I found everyone staring at our table and whispering among each other. I looked down at my hands, too embarrassed to meet everyone's eyes.

Thankfully at that time, the break bell rang, saving me from facing everyone's questioning faces. Picking up my tray, I made my way towards the bin without looking at Minyoung or Vernon and threw my lunch in the trash. Instead of waiting for the cafeteria to empty out as I usually did, I quickly went out before anyone could block my way.

Thinking about Mark, I decided to ditch the rest of the periods and go talk to him. My feet found a familiar way and soon, my hand was resting on a familiar door. I turned the door knob and peeked inside to find my most favourite person in the school, sitting on a chair behind her desk.

"Rosemary," I called out to her.

Her head snapped towards me and she broke out into a large smile.

"Yuna, dear! What a pleasant surprise! What brings you here?"

I entered the clinic, the smell of antiseptics immediately filling my nostrils. I wrinkled my nose in disgust, making rosemary laugh.

"Four years and you still haven't gotten used to this room," she teased.

"You know I can never get used to this smell."

My heart saddened as old memories resurfaced into my mind, tugging at my lips and making me frown. Rosemary was one of the few persons who knew about my past, and she immediately caught on my sudden change of mood. She smiled sympathetically at me and patted my arm.

"You are a brave girl, sweety."

I looked up at her. Hair matching the peeling, white paint on the wall, skin sagging with wrinkles and thin lips always pulled up into a warm smile, Rosemary was a petite old woman who reminded me so much of her, that sometimes it became hard for me to stare at her for long. I looked away blinking hard as I felt tears well up in my eyes.

"I-i came here to tell you that I'm not feeling well, so I'm going to go home," I lied to her, wiping my eyes. Guilt weighed down my heart on the thought that I had to lie to her.

"Of course, sweety, don't you worry, I'll write a note to your teacher immediately. Go on now. And don't forget to take your medicine!"

I beamed at her. I knew I could count on her to get me out of the school.

I hugged her tightly and quickly got out of the clinic, thankful to get away from the sickening smell that always triggered my old memories that I did not want to remember. I breathed in the fresh air deeply. Sighing, I made my way towards the locker room to take my things. Entering, I looked around, when suddenly I was pushed into a locker. I winced as the combination dug into my back, sure to leave a bruise. I opened my eyes, and found myself looking into the notorious ones of none other than JB.