CHAPTER 54

Chapter 54

ULYSSES' POV

"Alpha, you need to sign this"

"Fuck off" I grumble, not even bothering to face Hayden.

"Just sign this and go to your room and sleep" He sighs.

"Fuck off"

"You're not doing anything useful while you're here, so just sign this document so that I can mail it to the clients and leave this office and go hole up in your room" Why is Damon in my office too?

I don't even bother speaking this time, just continue keeping my head down and staring out of the window.

"She'll be back, Lys" Hayden says, "I know she will"

"Do you really want her to see you in this state when she returns?" Damon demands, "How will she feel when she comes back and sees how you are neglecting her pack in her absence?"

"Get out" I whisper, but neither of them budge.

"Why are you even moping around?" Damon hisses, "You pushed her to do this!"

"Damon don't" Hayden warns.

"Am I saying anything wrong here? Stop me if I am, or shut up, Hades" Damon snarls, and then his anger is directed back to me. "I warned you 23 years ago, when you were sending Ashallyn away, to consult your mate first, but did you do it? Did you?!"

"Damon-"

"You had this coming, Ulysses. You may love her, but you took away her choice! You told her that her eldest son had died!" He is legit shouting now.

"How hard would it have been to just tell her the truth? To allow her to see her son with her own eyes, hold him for a few minutes before sending him away?!"

"She wouldn't have been able to say goodbye" I say softly, "It would have killed her to stay with only one of them at a time"

"And she would have lived with it! Accepted it for the sake of her sons' lives!" He growls.

I raise my head and stare at him blankly.

"If it were Tulia, would you have told her?"

"Yes" he says without hesitation and I turn towards Hades. "What about you. Would you have told Becs?"

He looks away and Damon growls.

"You can't put him on spot! His and Becs' situation is different! They were having difficulty conceiving! It would have been hard for Becs to accept"

"My Mate had been through a lot" I tell Damon, "and I didn't want her to continue suffering. I wanted her to be happy, even for a little while"

"Little while?! Little fucking while? Are you fucking retarded? She lived in ignorance for 18 fucking years, Ulysses! 18 years" He repeats, in case I didn't catch it the first time around.

He then scoffs, "What did you even think would have happened when you finally told her?"

When he doesn't hear any response from me, he adds, this time in a softer voice, "I am actually surprised she managed to stay under the same roof as you these past five years. I expected her to leave as soon as she knew"

And before he can even blink, I am on him, snarling in his face and pinning him against the wall, squeezing his jugular, barely holding back from shredding it.

"Hard to hear the truth Alpha?" Damon laughs and I let out a growl that shakes the windows.

"Let him go Lys" Hades pulls me back and I allow him, because even though I am pissed, I know he is right. I had expected my mate to leave 5 years ago, but she didn't. She held on, for some reason not really giving up on me.