Don't Break My Heart

"Good afternoon, may I please speak to Daina Jackson?" An elderly voice asked me as soon as I accepted the phone call. I was sitting on my best friend- Zoey's- living room couch. I had spent the day with her and her family at the town’s fair. We were all currently sitting in her house talking about our plans for the summer, when suddenly we were interrupted by an unknown number calling my phone. 

"This is she… may I ask who's calling?" I asked with confusion. I had hoped it was my parents calling but the womanly voice didn’t sound like my mom and I could only hope it wasn’t by any chance my dad. My parents had been away on a small trip out of town for the weekend and were supposed to return today. They were already 4 hours late, and I was spending the extra time at Zoey's house with her and her family. It wasn’t an unusual situation for us since my parents were the kind of people who were always late to everything and since I’d known Zoey’s family my whole life, that was where I spent all my extra time.

"Hi Daina, I’m calling from St. Katherine’s Hospital… It’s regarding your parents."

The minute those words reached my ears, I freaked out. Thoughts started racing around my mind in frenzy. What had happened? Were they okay? Were they going to be okay? Oh my God. 

"A-are they okay?" I mumbled, unable to form words. I looked up to see Zoey and her parents watching me with concern, fear and worry in their eyes. They knew that the topic of hospitals and accidents were my weakness. I had lost my aunt a couple of years ago to a car accident. My mother’s sister was the most important person in my life- so much so that I considered her my best friend over anybody. Being 15, a terrible accident like that caused me to break. It hurt me so much that I didn't eat, sleep, or get out of bed for almost 2 weeks.

"Sweetie, I think you should come over to the hospital as soon as you can." The lady said and just like that- click- she hung up. My hands started to shake as I lowered the phone back into my lap and looked back up to see everyone staring at me with the same expression as I figured was on my own face.

"Umm….Do you guys mind driving me to St. Katheryn's Hospital? They say it’s regarding my parents." My voice shook as I spoke to Sheela and George- Zoey’s parents.

"Sure Honey. We'll take you." Her dad stood up and looked at his wife with concern. They had known my parents for a long time and our two families had always been really close.

“Don’t worry Daina, honey; I’m sure everything is okay. There’s no need to worry yourself.” Sheela said as she put my hand on my shoulder to help me up. I looked at her and gave her a little nod. I appreciated the effort to help calm me but it really wasn’t working.

Thoughts kept running around my mind. What happened to my parents? Were they okay? If they were fine they would've called me! They should’ve called by now...