Chapter 1

15 minutes later we were pulling up in front of the hospital. The moment the car jerked to a stop, I was out and running towards the front doors.

“H-hi, I’m Daina Jackson. I just got a call from here concerning my parents. Where are they? Are they okay? Can I see-“

“Yes. Wait a moment please.” A lady wearing blue scrubs motioned for me to stop with her hand as she typed something into her little white desktop. “Yes okay the Jacksons. Please go up to the third floor, room 14.”

I walked towards the elevator, with Zoey and her parents following behind. I wondered why they let them go upstairs when they usually only let family in, but figured no one saw them go into the elevator with me.

The elevator Dinged signaling we had reached the 3rd floor. I exited and looked to my left and right trying to figure out where to go. I started walking to the right side of the hallway and was greeted by a strong smell of cleaning supplies. I was suddenly hit by the feeling of Déjà vu. Jeesh, I hated hospitals.

"Are we going to the right way?" Zoey's mother asked looking around her at every room number. 

“I’m not sure." I replied. I kept looking at the numbers that shone from the doors of every room. That’s when I saw room 14 and let out a long sigh before running towards the room. I was stopped abruptly at the door by a young doctor exiting the room, not looking as relieved and happy as he should be.

"Hi. Um, hello! I'm Daina Jackson. I got a call about my parents from the hospital.., Helen and Ben Jackson. Are they alright?" I forced out in one breath. The hallway suddenly grew quiet and the doctor looked a little panicked at seeing me. I waited for him to reply and when he kept staying silent, I started to get really panicked.  It felt as if my surroundings started to spin and I was the only one left standing there.

"Daina… I’m Doctor Phillip. You’re parents… they’re… I’m so sorry." He looked into my eyes and I saw a mixture of many unrecognizable emotions in his eyes.

"What do you mean? They… can’t be." My body tensed up and I bit my lip so hard to prevent myself from crying that it started to bleed.

"Your... Your parents... They were in a car accident and when we got them to the hospital they were fine for about 2 hours. Then... then, they just left… we lost them. We don’t know how it happened. I’m so very sorry for your loss Daina." He said trying to rest his hand on my shoulder, but I backed away quickly. 

My knees gave in causing me to fall to the hospital floor. I put my head down too, trying to help my body process the news. Tears started to roll down my face. I opened my mouth to say something, anything, or maybe I opened it to scream but all that came out was a puff of air as if I was internally screaming. I tasted the saltiness from my tears as they slid down my cheeks and into my open mouth. Zoey leant down next to me- her face red with tears. Everyone said something but for some reason I couldn't hear anything. I buried myself into my knees hugging them as tightly as I could- hoping that was a way to hold on to my parents for as long as I could. But I knew they were gone now. I couldn’t hold on to them anymore. I could never hold on to them again.