chapter sixty-one

Amber-

"Tumor. It's huge, they say. That if we caught it any earlier I could've died." Kennedy tells Kai on speaker phone.

"Thanks, by the way. I know this must be awkward." She then says.

After Kai hangs up, I'm in the bathroom taking a test he doesn't know about. "That's cool she's being so open about everything, babe." I say through the door.

"Ya, I can't believe I have another daughter. I'm still getting used to it. I wish Karissa told me." He says.

"If Karissa told you then you and her probably would've tried being a couple, and who knows how that could've turned out." I remind him.

I pause as I see the positive sign on the stick I just peed on. As I open the bathroom door slowly, I see Kai sitting at the edge of the bed with his head down.

"Kai," I say.

He looks up and smiles awkwardly. "I love you. I love you so much." I say.

He smiles more genuinely and I lean my head on his shoulder. "I'm pregnant."

He props up and looks at me waiting for an explanation but what is there to explain.

"I just took the test. We are gonna have our sixth baby, Kai." I laugh.

He then starts laughing, and I shush him because the kids are in bed. "They have school tomorrow," We laugh.

We lean back on the bed and he puts his hand on my stomach. "Amber, I've known you since day one. Did you ever think this would be our future?"

"No, but I always secretly wanted it to be." I admit.

Kai goes in to see Kennedy after the big surgery. He also meets her boyfriend, but doesn't get too involved with it.

After all, Kennedy wasn't raised to have a dad. She wouldn't know what's going on if Kai started asking Alex a bunch of random questions about himself.

Karissa finally showed, up, scared to confront Kai. They hug awkwardly, but after a second or two she loosens up and it becomes sincere.