chapter forty-six

Kai-

2 weeks prior

"Do you think we got everybody?" I ask John, my work buddy.

"Yah." He replies out of breath.

A woman runs past me and tries to get into the burning building. I grab her by the arm.

"Ma'am, is there someone in there?" I ask her.

"Yes! My son! He's only four! Please! If you had kids you would understand." She cries.

"I have five kids and one on the way, actually. I know what it's like. Let me go in there. Not you." I calm her down.

The side of the building blows up, and the woman slowly steps back. I bolt in there, and can hear John screaming my name. I look everywhere for the kid.

"Little boy? Son? Your mom sent me! Please try to reply! I'm here to help you!" I yell.

I hear a cough through all of the burning wood and small explosions. I follow the noise. There he is. His left arm is stuck under a huge beam. How the hell am I gonna get him out.

"Hi, I'm Kai. What's your name?" I ask calmly.

"Vance. I'm scared." He starts to cry.

"Hey, hey. No need to cry. It's gonna be okay. I'm going to get you outta here, alright?" I say to calm him down.

I crouch down and put my hands under the beam, and lift up it wasn't budging. I was exhausted. But then I told my self I would do this for that scared mom out there, this little boy, my wife, and my kids.

I finally got it to budge, and rolled it out of the way. I coughed loudly, then grabbed the boy. He coughed too.

I saw the entrance, I was so close.

I then saw a wood plank about to fall, blocking us out. We didn't have time. I threw the four year old out the door, and seconds after the plank fell, trapping me in. I fall to the ground and hit my head, everything hurt. But Vance is okay.

Amber will be okay.

I love Amber.