chapter fifty

FIFTY CHAPTER WHAT!!! KAI HAS ANOTHER DAUGHTER WITH SOME CHICK FROM COLLEGE WHAY??? Thanks so much for reading everyone!! You guys are the best. Please leave feedback and comments below or in my messages to tell me how you're feeling about the story!! Also you may want some tissues because this chapter is definitely a tear jerker; thanks so much.
Love, Meredith Mariala

Amber-

I wore a black cardigan to cover my baby fat from my pregnancy, but it was hard when everyone was around you and you felt ugly in every way.

I held Dawson and Zoe's hand during the service, while Andrea, Breanna, Chelsea and Vance were being held or being taken care of by my parents.

Kai's father came up and hugged me tight after he was buried, and apologized for my loss.

Dawson and Zoe were old enough to realize what was going on, so they were just as depressed about their father being dead.

Kai was dead.

It was still weird for me to say.

My best friend.

My soul mate.

The father of my children.

Dead.

Gone.

Being a single mother was extremely hard, in fact, I could barely look at Vance or Dawson without seeing Kai in them. They were spitting images, it was insane.

Of course I had Lily's help, we've gotten a ton closer since the death of Kai.

This year has gone by so fast, I cannot believe it's been a year already that he's been dead.

I'm forty now, and I hate saying it.

I also hate lying in bed alone.

He used to cuddle up next to me and comfort me.

I don't know what to do anymore.

After dropping the kids off at school, I hear a knock on the door.

After Kai's death, I'm finally able to look at my kids and tell them I love them, also get out of bed and try to look presentable.

I knew Kai my whole life, and now suddenly he's gone. It's also sad knowing the whole baby making stage of my life is over.

I answer it, and see a blonde tan very gorgeous young girl. "Hi, is this Kai Corbett's house?" She asks.

"Yes, I'm his wife." I answer.

"Oh, hi, I'm Kennedy Jones." She greets me.

"I'm Amber Corbett." I reply back.

"I'm, uh, Kai's daughter." She jumps.

"Excuse me?" I ask, my jaw practically on the ground.

After inviting her in and making her some coffee we talk. "Karissa is my mother, they met in college." She explains.

"Well, that makes sense. I think I do remember your mom, in fact, you're a spitting image of her." I admit.

"She was only eighteen when she had me, and was too embarrassed to tell Kai about her being knocked up that she just kept it a secret." Kennedy explains.

"Kennedy, there's something I need to tell you." I begin.

"Kai passed away about a year ago. He ran into a burning building to save a life, then his heart ended up failing." I explain.

"Oh, oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, don't you have a lot of kids?" She asks.

"Yah, I guess so. Six kids actually. I guess Seven now." I smile.

"How is your mother doing?" I ask.

"She's okay, we didn't have any money so she's been working her butt off a ton. But now that I'm moved out, she's happier. I can just tell." Kennedy laughs.

"Kennedy, I know that Kai would've loved you, and that he could've helped you guys out." I try to comfort.

"Yah, I know.  My mom told me he was a super sweet guy." She tells me.

"He was. In fact, our first son was a total accident, I didn't even know if it was his child, but he stood by me, and never left my side." I smile thinking about him.

Kai Benjamin Corbett, the love of my freaking life.