Chapter Twenty Three - Intrigue

Start from the beginning

Eventually the dawn of the third day arrived, the crisp, frigid morning he and Shirayuki were to depart for a particular location in the middle of the forests. It was a location that Zen had given them in the form of a map and a detailed sketch in ink that showed an old forest trail between a pair of birch trees that appeared to have once been worn in by old, horse-drawn carts.

'Akazawa will meet you at a clearing around two leagues down this trail, and she will lead you to where you need to go, as well as explain any details that she feels necessary.' Zen instructed as he, Mitsuhide and Kiki stood at the front gates, watching as Obi helped Shirayuki up onto the back of his horse. 'It might seem haphazardly organized, but Akazawa has spent all this time since accepting my request for her assistance preparing for any and all foreseeable occurrences.'

'Is that why the grumpy Maid has disappeared into thin air all of a sudden?' Obi couldn't help but ask.

'Yes, in fact. That's exactly why, Shirayuki,' Zen turned to address the startled girl perched securely behind Obi. 'You can't argue with her if she decides that this investigation is finished. Her priorities in this assignment are to ensure that everyone stays healthy, out of danger, and with as little risk as possible. If she feels any of these priorities of hers are jeopardized in any way, she has reassured me that she will, and I quote, "drag you away by the hair, kicking and screaming, if she has to."'

'Of course, I understand.' Shirayuki hedged, though she sounded a little perturbed by the warning.

But Obi could understand, he guessed, considering how hard-headed Shirayuki could be about certain things. Not that he liked the idea of admitting that, or even the idea that the ex-maid really would do as she promised.

But at the same time, he wouldn't put it past the woman to do good on her word.

'We'll just have to go about things in a way that she can't, then.' Obi remarked with a brief shrug and a sly smile. 'She seems to loathe me with a vengeance, so she probably won't come too close if I hang around you all the time, Young Miss.'

'R-right...'

The approaching sounds of horse shoes against cobblestone drew Zen's attention away from the two for a brief moment.

'Well, you had best be off.' The second prince noted as he spotted the two soldiers on horseback joining them. 'If all goes as planned, I'll expect you both back in two weeks.'

There wasn't much more to say, and even Obi didn't feel like uttering one of his amiable remarks to lighten the mood, either.

They bid their farewells now that the two guards had arrived with Shirayuki's gear mounted on their own horses in riding bags, and left for the sickly forests.

There was no need to explain where they were going, the guards merely followed along at the back, and Obi had a fair idea of where this trail was, though the ink sketch threw him for quite a loop. There was little discussion, Shirayuki appeared to be lost in thought, undoubtedly about the ongoing sickness in the forests, and Obi, well, he was a little bored, but lacking the real intent to do anything about it.

'So, Young Miss, I'd like your take on this.' Obi eventually asked a good hour later, jostling the scarlet-haired woman out of her train of thought. 'Why do you think the Maid decided to change her mind?'

'Miss Akazawa?' Shirayuki questioned.

'Yes.' He agreed with a hum.

'I'm not sure, but there most likely would be a reason for it. ' Shirayuki mused as she shifted slightly to look at Obi's face over his shoulder. 'Miss Akazawa doesn't strike me as the kind of person to do anything on a whim, so I'd imagine something had come up.'