Chapter Eighteen - Aftermath

There was a quaint hint of silence that had sunk over the Wistal Castle grounds come dawn two days after the ever surly Saki Akazawa's return, and two days after the little girl called Lirae had come to remain in the Court Herbalists care

There was a quaint hint of silence that had sunk over the Wistal Castle grounds come dawn two days after the ever surly Saki Akazawa's return, and two days after the little girl called Lirae had come to remain in the Court Herbalists care. And further to that, it was two days since there was any sign of the surly woman at all.

From what was known about Saki, she distinctly hated being bothered by people, and furthermore it was rather prominent that she was not a normal woman who just so happened to work as a maid at some point, and she didn't just so happen to know roughly how to use a bow.

While peculiar and moderately entertaining to annoy, the woman known as Akazawa Saki was, and has always been an oddity that felt like a breath of fresh air. But no matter how much poking and prodding Obi did, he never earned more than vicious refute that told him nothing of what that Grumpy Maid was actually like.

Usually he could get a grasp of what a person was like after two or three incidents, four for the more difficult to read. He could get a grasp of Shirayuki's personality after that time he'd had to carry her back to her room when she'd gotten drunk that one time, though he was already moderately sure of her personality before that. Prince Zen was much the same, even though both he and Shirayuki did things that surprised him from time to time as if it were natural.

However that maid? He was no closer to grasping her personality than any random stranger he happened to see on the street.

She was vindictive, he guessed, not to mention the fact that she clearly hated even being near another person at all.

But beyond that? Absolutely nothing.

And he'd had at least a good seven instances to witness her so called personality at hand.

A yawn didn't fail to escape him as he stretched slightly in the branches of the tree standing beneath Prince Zen's office balcony. The sounds of birds in the distance peppered the otherwise strange silence as he rubbed his eyes lightly with his fingertips. The storm clouds in the skies were a darkening grey, a sign of unpleasant weather soon to come if he had any say in it. His usual move to camp out in trees overnight probably wasn't in his best interests right now, even though it had essentially passed the city by all yesterday.

It was a pain however, since he was about ready to nod straight to sleep where he was.

'Zen, I don't think that's such a good idea!' Came Shirayuki's voice from the open door of the Prince's office, drawing Obi's gaze from the darkened castle courtyard with little effort. 'The storm looks like it will hit us before noon, and it looks pretty bad out there, already.'

'Yes, I know that, but they won't deal with themselves now, will they?' Zen's response was prompt, filled with an edge of exasperation that was moderately peculiar. At least, to Obi's sluggish mood, it was.

'But couldn't you leave it until after the weather passes over?'

'They may take the storm as opportunity to cause trouble, undisturbed. We shouldn't put it off.' Came Mitsuhide's voice this time, grabbing Obi's attention within an instance. 'They are a bit too close to Wistal for comfort, after all.'