Chapter Eleven - Impasse

Whatever option there was left for Saki to choose when it came to avoiding the meeting with the Second Prince hanging over her head was considerably lost

Whatever option there was left for Saki to choose when it came to avoiding the meeting with the Second Prince hanging over her head was considerably lost. She knew it as such, but she had trouble accepting the reality that she had no choice but to concede.

Therefore, it stood to reason that Saki's mood was remarkably horrible, no matter how hard she tried to deny it.

She muttered, cursing her luck beneath her breath as she paced the confines of her house in an attempt at aleviating the agitation that had taken hold of her. She tossed things in their proper places, poured the foul contents of her pail down the drain that lead into the river around her house, and simply tried to keep herself from swearing.

So Obi was not only Shirayuki's most frequent companion, but a servant of sorts to the Second Prince, and what's worse, he'd ordered Obi to essentially accompany her wherever until she gave in and turned up at the castle to speak with him.

So her options were to live for an uncertain stretch of time with having Obi essentially shadowing her until he gave up, or to give in herself and go visit the royalty like an obedient subject.

Needless to say, she was not fond of either, and she had to consider which would be best.

Regardless of how one may view royalty, it was never a simple matter of stopping by for a cup of tea and afternoon greetings. If you were summoned out of the blue for no adequate reason, it was going to be more trouble than it was worth, without fail.

But perhaps, being rid of Obi and taking a few hours out of her life to just hear what it was the Second Prince wanted and eloquently telling him she wanted nothing to do with anything he had in mind was the best recourse? After all, she had no qualms with telling somebody to get out of her life, after all.

She cast a brief glance towards the front door of her house, which she didn't doubt was within immediate view of Obi wherever it was he was waiting outside.

And before long, she could only sigh as she resigned herself to do as expected.

She got cleaned up, tossing her coin-purse among other similar necessities, adorned herself in her boots, linen pants, long sleeved tunic top and her scarf, which she made sure to have looped around her neck in such a way that it covered a good portion of her face. And last and most importantly, while not her bow or quiver of arrows, Saki ensured that she had her ensemble of blades on her, tucked away in their usual places out of view of prying eyes.

She cast the interior of her house a fleeting glance as her gloved hand lifted to press against the front of her tunic top, feeling for the presence of cords beneath her clothes. The shift of the familiar, large flat of stone shifting against her breastbone was all that she needed to recount its presence there, before she opened the door to face her impending fate for the day.

'So you've given in, have you? Miss Maid?' Came Obi's voice almost as soon as she had stepped out from the smithy of her house, bringing Saki to scowl a little more as she heard the faint shift of footsteps on tree branches.